Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took our 2011 passion in for it's 5 year/@40,000 mile service and the advisor suggested a transmission flush but it is not listed anywhere in my smart service booklet so I declined. Anyone have input on this?

How about a K & N air filter for increased mileage and performance?

Also does anyone have a service department that actually listens to their requests; we have been to Albuquerque, NM, Chandler, AZ and Portland, OR and have not been truly satisfied yet. Things always get done that I do not want and ask them not to do when I leave the car. I guess I will add post-it notes for the technician on the steering wheel next visit.

All help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
If it is written on the repair ticket, they should be following your requests. If they do something you ask them not to do, they shouldn't be charging for it and if they don't do something you request, they should get it back in and do it.

As for the trans fluid change, it is basically a manual transmission and shouldn't need a change in fluid. K&N Filters are kind of a pain in the butt if you ask me. I don't think they add much HP or MPG gains but some people swear by them. That is up to them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The trans oil is rated for "lifetime". There is no official change interval. That service manager is either confused or just trying to "service" your wallet.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I think it's classified as lifetime oil because MB doesn't want anybody messing with that Getrag tranny. If you don't believe me, try to find some service info on it anywhere. If anything on the Fortwo is "off limits" it seems to be the tranny. I think if there's a problem with it they just replace the whole unit. DCO

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
If it was my car, I'd do the transmission fluid at some point, but I'd DIY. A manual transmission is very easy and cheap if it is like any other manual.

As for dealers, I have only been to one dealer and only once, but I can't say enough good things about how the Cary, NC dealership handled my service. They did exactly and only what I asked, kept me informed of what was going on and the price was excellent.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
smart lists it as a lifetime fill. I have never personally agreed with that. Being that my job is being is charge of all machine maintenance in our plant, I can tell you, there is no such thing as a lifetime lubricant. They all need changed at some point.

I did an oil change in my smart's transmission at about 80K. There was definitely some sparkly metallic particles in it.. That is normal wear-in for any gear system. Was it enough to worry about or do damage? Probably not, but I felt that my trans shifted better after the change....

The factory fill is Castrol BOT 328, which is a GL-4 75W-90 gear oil. You need to make sure you replace it with something equivalent. I used Redline MT-90 oil. DO NOT use a GL-5 oil. It will attack the brass synchros in the transmission.

I'm certainly not telling you that you have to change the fluid, just giving you more information to make an informed decision for your car.

As far as the K&N, I've been running one since about 5K miles. I wash it once a year and recharge it. No problems at all. My smart has 180K+ on it...

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
278 Posts
I confirm, use Redline MT90, a GL4 oil. See my posts on how I changed mine, since the old gearbox fluid had fouled the electric gear change motors. If a doofus at the dealership does the change for you, you may end up with a GL5 oil, since most will assume it is superior to a GL4. That would be a big mistake, and I wouldn't trust them if they insisted it was a GL4 that they had put in.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I also changed out my fluid at 5K and yes, it had "metallic" stuff in it ! :)

Recently, 105K changed again ....... no metallics this time :D

(Now at about 107K)

Used Redline MT90 both times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice; maybe I'll have it changed next service as it seems to be shifting even slower than when new(if that is possible!)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Try to do the transmission "re-teach" procedure, that may help it return to faster shifts. You're not out anything to try it. DCO

From the 2011 manual: (As re-posted by our friend & moderator JWight)

Quote:
In case of a minor transmission
malfunction, it might be possible to teach-in
the transmission in order to restore the
normal transmission mode.

i If the attempt to teach-in the
transmission fails, you cannot continue
to drive. Therefore we strongly
recommend that you have the
transmission taught-in at a qualified
workshop or at an authorized smart
center.