Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble with my 2009 fortwo passion transmission. It all started when my left rear abs sensor went out. I ordered a new one and replaced it with no problems until I tried to drive it. With no codes and no lights on the dash I left my driveway and started down the road. THEN all #$%& broke loose abs light comes on car started bucking like a bronco went to 3 gear and stayed. Now I still have abs light on says that the left rear sensor is bad can't shift gears manually or on its own stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. I removed the shift actuator and cleaned and greased it. Reinstalled it and it didn't help so I removed the shift motors and removed the covers and cleaned the carbon from inside the motors which was very little. Measured the brushes which was about 11.27mm in length. So I put the motors back on and still won't shift and drive even after a transmission and shift relearn. I am at the end of my rope and scratching my head as to what to do. What am I missing? Its got to be something simple I hope what am I overlooking any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanks john

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
John, Welcome to the forum here. Gather up all the parts, off to a shop that can make the repairs. It’s Called a basket case.

Needs some codes to pull, to make a diagnostic evaluation.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,555 Posts
Problems in the past have included stress on a wiring harness (down around the feet while driving, in my case) and bad grounding with loose bolts torqueing down brown wires. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Disconnect the battery before any repairs. Smarts are repaired best that way. Not sure why. Only weird probs come from leaving it live while working on mine at least.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you replace the reluctor ring or the sensor that reads the reluctor ring? Those reluctor rings frequently crack with age and that will trigger a false warning and indicate that that wheel is traveling at a different speed than the others which is why it goes into crazy mode. I’ve had to replace reluctor rings on both rear wheels on my 08 passion but only one time and I’ve never had to replace the sensors

1 - 11 of 11 Posts