Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in San Diego. It doesn't rain much. I have 80,000 miles on my 2009 Passion and recently when it DOES rain, my transmission locks up. When I'm driving on the freeway and try to come to a stop it remains in 5th (will no longer shift to neutral). Of course the motor then stalls. It then won't start. After I sit for a while, I can go through the transmission re-setting process (its probably drip-dried) but if its still raining it does the same thing within a mile or so. I've looked underneath and can't see any frayed wires or bad connections. Any suggestions? Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
First step would be to clean posts on the battery, maybe even replace it if its the original, that will also reboot the the whole system. (As these cars age the computers get very quirky about battery power levels.)

Next do the trans teach in. That's about all you can do short of putting it on the MB Star machine $$$. I'm sure you have already cleaned every connector you can reach.

I wonder if at any time the stop light switch was changed out and not sealed up properly ? Good luck. A2Jack.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You could remove the electrical plug to the clutch actuator and fill it with dielectric grease for waterproofing purposes and replace. It's actually a good idea to do this to all the plugs you can reach while checking for chafed/nicked wiring.
Do this for all the visible connectors while you are under there. Been there...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Same here! One of the members mention it and I have yet to experience the same. I do a yearly maintenance on the connectors. I use 90% isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to remove the old dielectric grease then I re-grease.

I really hope this helps you. It made all the difference in the world, and after you drive in the rain and the car keeps working, you will be so happy. It only takes a couple of drives through heavy rain before you start to trust the car again, it's a great feeling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts