Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 2009 pure with 66K miles. Recently, i have been experiencing issues with the transmission. Here's the experience.

1. I have two flashing wrenches as soon as the car turns on. Those have been on since I got the car. I need to figure how to determine what type of service those are calling for. Those were flashing before i started experiencing transmission issues. Idk if related.

2. Recently, the car won't go into gear. Moving into R or D won't select the actual gear and i get a beeping from the car. Reverse lights come on but the car won't go into gear. This is starting to happen more often. Solutions have been to wait it out and it solves itself or continue to moving the gear selector until it goes into gear. One solution that seems to work al.ost immediately is moving the gear from D to the manual option into 1. Then back to D and R. Car seems to recognize the gears.

3. The car seems to be shifting rough. Idk if it the cold weather or what but it seems to be really hard.

What do I do for troubleshooting? I just got some Amsoil fluid and plan to change the fluid. What else should I check? Battery? Transmission software update? Clutch actuator lube? How do I do that? What is the green plastic plug on top of the transmission?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...it strongly depends on your driving profile - it could also be a sticky clutch, either way the clutch has to be renewed.

You could begin with a suitable diagnosis tool, it can show you the state of the clutch.

Also try to change gears with the engine off - if you can change the gears between D and R without issues, the clutch do not separate the transmission from the engine anymore.

Regards
Marc

·
Super Moderator
18,075 Posts
Your symptoms can suggest a worn clutch, but going straight to a clutch replacement without any other troubleshooting is a bad idea.

My 2008 is nearing 120k on its original clutch and my 2012 has 160k on its clutch. We've known people on this forum to get 180k or 200k or more on the original clutch. And I haven't taken things that easy. That 2012 used to off-road, tow trailers, and do skidpad tugs against pickup trucks. :)

Your issues could also be caused by a dying clutch actuator, shift motor, or heck, I bet even a super old battery could cause a lot of this.

When you see the wrenches, is there a negative number displayed where your mileage would be? If so, that's the car saying that an oil change is due. If not, then it's likely indicating a transmission fault.

Find yourself a decent scanner, one that goes deep into the vehicle systems like a STAR machine, Autel diagnostic tool, or similar. It should indicate what you're looking at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your symptoms can suggest a worn clutch, but going straight to a clutch replacement without any other troubleshooting is a bad idea.

My 2008 is nearing 120k on its original clutch and my 2012 has 160k on its clutch. We've known people on this forum to get 180k or 200k or more on the original clutch. And I haven't taken things that easy. That 2012 used to off-road, tow trailers, and do skidpad tugs against pickup trucks. :)

Your issues could also be caused by a dying clutch actuator, shift motor, or heck, I bet even a super old battery could cause a lot of this.

When you see the wrenches, is there a negative number displayed where your mileage would be? If so, that's the car saying that an oil change is due. If not, then it's likely indicating a transmission fault.

Find yourself a decent scanner, one that goes deep into the vehicle systems like a STAR machine, Autel diagnostic tool, or similar. It should indicate what you're looking at.
Yes it shows -999. I checked the oil and it looks clean. Either way, i am planning to replace the oil so i can have my baseline. I am doing oils, transmission fluid, coolant, and brake fluid.

Ok i don't have a good auto scanner. Maybe I'll get something. I wonder if the battery is still original. I'll check today. Maybe I should also buy a new one.

·
Super Moderator
18,075 Posts
Perfect, in that case, your car is saying that it is 999 days overdue for an oil change. Sounds like your car has been getting oil changes, but the maintenance counter never reset.

It won't cause drivability issues, and thus is unrelated to your transmission problem. But if you want to reset the counter, here's a guide:

How old is your car's battery?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I clean this up or is it a replacement part?
Perfect, in that case, your car is saying that it is 999 days overdue for an oil change. Sounds like your car has been getting oil changes, but the maintenance counter never reset.

It won't cause drivability issues, and thus is unrelated to your transmission problem. But if you want to reset the counter, here's a guide:

How old is your car's battery?
I checked today. The battery is the smart labeled one. I am going to assume it is the original battery because how many ppl go back to the dealership for a battery?

I will get a new battery this wknd.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Given I recently had to replace the battery in my 08 smart due to its age I’m surprised you got that long out of a factory battery.
I also had to replace the clutch actuator thanks to that(got the code for it three times and twice it made the car drop out of gear at a red light which was highly embarrassing)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts