Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership recently informed me that the transmission mounts failed. I am attempting to find pics or any other information with instructions for a DIY replacement. I am also having a difficult time finding any information on the smart transmission mounts. Is there another name for the mounts?
FYI this is separate from the engine mount.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The dealership recently informed me that the transmission mounts failed. I am attempting to find pics or any other information with instructions for a DIY replacement. I am also having a difficult time finding any information on the smart transmission mounts. Is there another name for the mounts?
FYI this is separate from the engine mount.
There are a total of three mounts that support the engine & transmission. One on each end, and the center torque mount. I recently replaced all three on my smart, and it made a world of difference in the way my car drives. None are difficult to change. Two through bolts for the center mount, and 5 bolts for each end mount( 3 on engine/trans, 2 on frame rail). The one on the end of the trans is kind of fun because you have to remove the air cleaner assembly to get to some of the bolts, but I had mine all changed in about 2 hours.

The center one is easiest, just jack up the car, remove the two bolts, and it drops out. Assemble in reverse. Just watch which bolt goes where. They are different lengths, and if you put the long one in wrong, you will poke a hole in your oil pan! Another memeber on here did that...

For each side mount, just support the engine with a jack on that side to take the pressure off the mount, undo the 5 bolts, remove the mount, and assemble in reverse order.

The tricky part is getting the air cleaner out on the drivers side. It is held in place with two screws you can see, and a funky ball stud underneath. The ball stud is a pain to unsnap from the bottom, and nearly impossible to get back in. I actually unscrewed it from the top of the trans, popped it in the hole in the bottom of the air cleaner housing, and then from underneath the car, screwed it back in the trans that way. I couldn't figure out any other way to get it back in! There isn't enough clearance between the body and stud to get it back over it and snapped into place.

Oh, and by the way, don't pay crazy dealer prices for mounts. Lots of low mileage used ones on ebay right now. You can probably pick up all three mounts on ebay for what one would cost you at the dealer.

I got lucky and bought mine through a fellow member here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the center torque mount the same as the front engine mount? Where did you purchase the parts?
Did you follow any instructions or did you wing it?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Is the center torque mount the same as the front engine mount? Where did you purchase the parts?
Did you follow any instructions or did you wing it?

Yes, front mount is the same as the torque mount. Bought them from another member here. I just winged it, but I've wrenched on cars my whole life. Not really afraid to try anything at least once...:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts