Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I buy the Castrol BOT 328 GL4 rated 75 W 90 gear oil? Does Autozone have it? And what is gl5 or gl4 anyway?:twak::bangwall::huh::zen:

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Where can I buy the Castrol BOT 328 GL4 rated 75 W 90 gear oil? Does Autozone have it? And what is gl5 or gl4 anyway?:twak::bangwall::huh::zen:
MB dealer is about the only place you can get the Castrol BOT... Be sure and take a wheel barrow of cash with ya...

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I asked the garage where I take my car for work about transmission fluid they said it was really more of a grease than a fluid. So I looked it up on Eviloution. And they say

"Although smart say this is a non servicable item, it would be foolish to use the same oil year in, year out. I recommended you change it every 3rd service. People have found the gearchange is much improved after doing this."

And they recommend for 451
Castrol BOT 328
Burma BOT 328
Syntrans Multivehicle 75W90
Any GL4 75W90 gear oil

And somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
When I asked the garage where I take my car for work about transmission fluid they said it was really more of a grease than a fluid. So I looked it up on Eviloution. And they say

"Although smart say this is a non servicable item, it would be foolish to use the same oil year in, year out. I recommended you change it every 3rd service. People have found the gearchange is much improved after doing this."

And they recommend for 451
Castrol BOT 328
Burma BOT 328
Syntrans Multivehicle 75W90
Any GL4 75W90 gear oil

And somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000 miles.
Your garage is giving you bad info... Its definitely a fluid not a grease...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Castrol 75w 90 BOt 328 GL 4 rated transmission fluid or gear oil (same thing) is what came in the car. It is $27.00 per bottle at MB dealer. You can't get it anywhere else. I would spend the money and buy this stuff and put it in every 30k. I think it is insanity to leave an oil in a car for life. The transmission should be changed after the first 5k or less after buying the car then every thirty k.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I used Amsoil Synthetic 75W-90 GL-4 you'll need 2.5 qts. I don't remember the name of the Redline stuff, just as good. Lot's written here about this subject. Good luck

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Listen to your mechanic? The guy who dropped out of high school at 16 to work in the family garage? Maybe he has some practical experience, but the rest is bluster and BS.
You do have a better chance of getting good advice in a dealership service area, if, and only if, they send their mechanics to school regularly, and if they are capable of learning. Generally, todays cars are built to buy and drive, requiring little maintenance beyond an annual check of fluids, despite what the manuals and blogs say. We tend to worry too much.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've got 93,000 miles on mine, and I've never changed the tranny fluid. There are some who say "if you haven't by now, I wouldn't any more..." Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I used Amsoil Synthetic 75W-90 GL-4 you'll need 2.5 qts. I don't remember the name of the Redline stuff, just as good. Lot's written here about this subject. Good luck
Redline is MT90 and is a 75W90 GL4 and GL5 compatible with brass synchronizers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts