Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Hey All,

So my 2008 passion has 33k miles, I just bought it less than 1mnth ago.

I've been trying to find an answer by searching forums.

What happened was I had driven the car a few miles & and then parked for quick errand. Started car, put car into R, hit the gas & all I heard was revving, looked down, and noticed there was no R in display, at some point some beeping started.
I was starting to panick a bit, I switched through other gears, and only thing that was showing up was N or some bars if I recall.
I figured some kind of computer glitch, so I shut off car, and restarted, same thing was happening. I believe I shut car off again & restarted & it was then switching gears properly.
I read a post about mistakenly resetting transmission or something like that, by accidentally holding down brake pedal while starting car???
I'm pretty used to holding holding down brake pedal while starting car, not sure if in this instance I had done this while starting, but am wondering if this could have been the problem?
I have driven the car 2 days now, and it seems to be fine; except for today, it seemed to shift fine, but I heard the beeping sound for a second or two while shifting into gear automatically.
I like driving the car in manual mode sometimes, and sometimes when car has first been started and after warming up a bit, I notice that it doesn't catch into gear on first or sometimes second try???

So, if you've read this far :D what could be my issue? Sorry if this has been discussed a million time, couldn't quite pinpoint it in forums.

Best,
Joe
It needs the 2.03 Trans software update at a smart center. Just tell them about it not going into reverse. Bingo! Problem solved. Classic problem and resolution.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
No, Joe, you are describing the 2.0 update which was already standard on late 09 cars. Mine got the 2.03. It changes shift points for one thing and the pressure required to engage the clutch which is what fixes the problem of not going into reverse. If it is not going into reverse, it is highly unlikely that it already has the 2.03 update, only the 2.0.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Cappuchino, beignets, palmiers, and last but not least Little Debbie snack cakes and the Napkins resquired, etc. are all consumable shop supplies.

Just got back from "shop"-ing for consumables.
Some were "put away" before they were put away.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Funny my smart just turned 31,000 and I just had the same problem with it not going in reverse and hearing the beep. Guess I'll be taking a trip to the dealer. What I am wondering is if I continue to drive, will I lose forward gears or does this only effect the reverse gear? It may take me a couple of days before I get a chance to take it in for the 2.03.
Apparently they are now calling this the latest software update for your vehicle. They do not recognize the 2.03 term, that someone mentioned on here. Anything to keep from sharing real information with the owners. I think I remember that eventually it won't go into gear? It is best to get the download.

You might suggest how nice it would be if that is covered as a good will gesture from the mother ship, since shortsighted software came from momma Benz.
After all some dealers do this for free and it is REALLY appreciated! :D

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Mine was an 09 and came with the 2.0 update already. It did not have the latest software update that apparently upon mechanicals wearing in a bit would provide enough added pressure in shifting or clutch engagement that the "not going into reverse would ever be a problem. Mine was upgraded and I did like the new shift points. I've never had a problem with it not going into reverse.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Abby, I do not have quite enough information. Where do you live. Has your car been driven in wet conditions? As in a lot of rain? or thru water? Is this a U.S. model smart, such that it has a Park position? If you do not have a U.S. smart then you leave it in R when parked?
Now, without knowing the above info, there is a sensor connector just in front of the left rear bumper on the transmission, that can get water in it and it can affect transmission function. Check that connector for water and clean it out with CRC 2-26. It improves electrical properties and disperses water. Available at The Home Depot for sure, in their electrical department. Lowe's may carry it also. It will not harm plastic, or rubber.
The U.S. models have a creep function that is enabled the car to creep forward just after you take your foot off the brake. Pull up the manual hand brake one click and the creep function is disabled, but the warning beeper sounds to remind you that you are driving with the parking brake engaged. This could be your "jumping beyond the acceleration level", and is normal for U.S. smarts, only.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Jimvw57, I had remembered YOUR experience with the water in the connector on the transmission. Maybe that is her problem. Creep mode is out of the picture then, if she is in the U.K. I am glad you are still around. Best wishes with your Range Rover. I think of you when I see one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.