Smart Car of America Forum banner

Transmission Problem or Mistaken Reset???

108K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 ·
Hey All,

So my 2008 passion has 33k miles, I just bought it less than 1mnth ago.

I've been trying to find an answer by searching forums.

What happened was I had driven the car a few miles & and then parked for quick errand. Started car, put car into R, hit the gas & all I heard was revving, looked down, and noticed there was no R in display, at some point some beeping started.
I was starting to panick a bit, I switched through other gears, and only thing that was showing up was N or some bars if I recall.
I figured some kind of computer glitch, so I shut off car, and restarted, same thing was happening. I believe I shut car off again & restarted & it was then switching gears properly.
I read a post about mistakenly resetting transmission or something like that, by accidentally holding down brake pedal while starting car???
I'm pretty used to holding holding down brake pedal while starting car, not sure if in this instance I had done this while starting, but am wondering if this could have been the problem?
I have driven the car 2 days now, and it seems to be fine; except for today, it seemed to shift fine, but I heard the beeping sound for a second or two while shifting into gear automatically.
I like driving the car in manual mode sometimes, and sometimes when car has first been started and after warming up a bit, I notice that it doesn't catch into gear on first or sometimes second try???

So, if you've read this far :D what could be my issue? Sorry if this has been discussed a million time, couldn't quite pinpoint it in forums.

Best,
Joe

See less See more
#6 ·
My car beeps at me if I roll forward while in Reverse.

Once I was backing up my driveway and let off the throttle. The car tried to catch itself but the drive was too steep so it started to roll down the driveway. About a second in it disengaged the gear and started to beep at me. Normal service resumed once I stopped the car from rolling.

#9 ·
Thanks Wahi. I wonder if there is a way to know if it already has 2.03 update? I remember reading something about like, if you're in D, and you shift with the paddles it will allow you take drive manually then? I tried this and it worked.
Now i'm worried that I have the updated software & something else is wrong :(
Maybe I should try a proper reset with brake pedal as suggested by Barney O ???

#11 · (Edited)
No, Joe, you are describing the 2.0 update which was already standard on late 09 cars. Mine got the 2.03. It changes shift points for one thing and the pressure required to engage the clutch which is what fixes the problem of not going into reverse. If it is not going into reverse, it is highly unlikely that it already has the 2.03 update, only the 2.0.

#12 ·
Mine does the same thing especially after sitting for a week or so. Seems like a sensor gets confused - the 2.03 update is on my to-do list, but I need to take a full day off and drive three hours to my nearest dealer. Until I can do that, I just push back with my foot, pull forward in gear about ten feet, and it fixes itself - may be coincidence, but it gives me something to do. :)

#13 · (Edited)
This problem has nothing to do with whether your foot is on the brake or you've done a "teach in" for your transmission. I tried all that.

The actual solution is to make sure the latest version of firmware is installed in your Smart's Transmission Control Unit (TCU) -- BB Benz is correct in making this clear.

My Fortwo stopped dependably going into R or D a few days ago. It's last firmware update had been back in Feb. 2009, so after reading this forum, I called the dealer to arrange an upgrade. They tried to thwart my effort by saying I should pay several hundred dollars for a full tranny diagnostic, but eventually I prevailed. They charged me $110 (the $10 for "consummable shop supplies" - can you believe it?) to hook it up tho their computer and install the latest firmware. (They wouldn't tell me if it's v2.03 or what, just that it's the current version.)

Result: Tranmission problem solved -- it goes into R and D every time now. My heartfelt thanks to BB Benz and others here. Cheers.

#54 ·
This problem has nothing to do with whether your foot is on the brake or you've done a "teach in" for your transmission. I tried all that.

The actual solution is to make sure the latest version of firmware is installed in your Smart's Transmission Control Unit (TCU) -- BB Benz is correct in making this clear.

My Fortwo stopped dependably going into R or D a few days ago. It's last firmware update had been back in Feb. 2009, so after reading this forum, I called the dealer to arrange an upgrade. They tried to thwart my effort by saying I should pay several hundred dollars for a full tranny diagnostic, but eventually I prevailed. They charged me $110 (the $10 for "consummable shop supplies" - can you believe it?) to hook it up tho their computer and install the latest firmware. (They wouldn't tell me if it's v2.03 or what, just that it's the current version.)

Result: Tranmission problem solved -- it goes into R and D every time now. My heartfelt thanks to BB Benz and others here. Cheers.
Thank you - will try this. I was told that the ForTwo City Passion Coupe 2006 - apparently this make of car or this 2006 model has a transmission flaw - ?? Are you aware of the flaw ?? as I had transmission replaced and ended up with same problem not going into gear and 3 bars on screen.

#19 ·
Funny my smart just turned 31,000 and I just had the same problem with it not going in reverse and hearing the beep. Guess I'll be taking a trip to the dealer. What I am wondering is if I continue to drive, will I lose forward gears or does this only effect the reverse gear? It may take me a couple of days before I get a chance to take it in for the 2.03.

#21 ·
Apparently they are now calling this the latest software update for your vehicle. They do not recognize the 2.03 term, that someone mentioned on here. Anything to keep from sharing real information with the owners. I think I remember that eventually it won't go into gear? It is best to get the download.

You might suggest how nice it would be if that is covered as a good will gesture from the mother ship, since shortsighted software came from momma Benz.
After all some dealers do this for free and it is REALLY appreciated! :D

#22 ·
Exactly!!!
Our Subaru has had a software update to the ECU free of charge but it was due to a recall of the car frying the cat convertors due to runninig really rich at higher rpm.

smart should make an announcement of a recall to get all the cars in and get them all up to the latest software version.

#26 ·
Sounds like I need this update. Thanks guys for sharing your stories. Last week mine would not go into R or D. I rolled down my driveway only to have to walk it back into place. But the side note to this is that the weather was nice for the whole week that I could ride my Ducati everywhere instead. I tried it the other day and it went into D but not R. I am driving it now, but I don't know when it will fail on me next.

Does anyone know when the next update is supposed to happen? I heard late 2012, or 4th quarter. Is it worth it to just wait till that one comes out? Or is the 2.03 the latest and greatest end all update?

BTW, 2008 Passion. I have the 2.0 update, but mine does not do the paddle shift into manual like everyone else. Smart Corporate says that it should not do that either. I think mine is a dud in that department. I am hoping that 2.03 will change my paddle shifting functions.

#30 ·
Firmware update

Does anyone know when the latest firmware update (I'm assuming it's the 2.03 version several people have been referring to) came per-installed in new cars? I have a 2010 sold new in September 2010, and though I'm not experiencing any of the issues described here, other than a momentary pause when shifting into reverse, I'd like to know if my 2010 came with the latest firmware from the manufacturer. Thanks

#35 ·
Hey All,

So my 2008 passion has 33k miles, I just bought it less than 1mnth ago.

I've been trying to find an answer by searching forums.

What happened was I had driven the car a few miles & and then parked for quick errand. Started car, put car into R, hit the gas & all I heard was revving, looked down, and noticed there was no R in display, at some point some beeping started.
I was starting to panick a bit, I switched through other gears, and only thing that was showing up was N or some bars if I recall.
I figured some kind of computer glitch, so I shut off car, and restarted, same thing was happening. I believe I shut car off again & restarted & it was then switching gears properly.
I read a post about mistakenly resetting transmission or something like that, by accidentally holding down brake pedal while starting car???
I'm pretty used to holding holding down brake pedal while starting car, not sure if in this instance I had done this while starting, but am wondering if this could have been the problem?
I have driven the car 2 days now, and it seems to be fine; except for today, it seemed to shift fine, but I heard the beeping sound for a second or two while shifting into gear automatically.
I like driving the car in manual mode sometimes, and sometimes when car has first been started and after warming up a bit, I notice that it doesn't catch into gear on first or sometimes second try???

So, if you've read this far :D what could be my issue? Sorry if this has been discussed a million time, couldn't quite pinpoint it in forums.

Best,
Joe
The Antichrist sarted out doing this (The flashing "N" while just revving, not going into reverse, etc.)...After a software upgrade, a clutch actuator replacement, a clutch replacement, and another (BS) software upgrade (pushing $3K), it might be fixed...I am waiting for Penske West Covina to let me know...They've only had it 3.5 weeks...Next time I think I will go to the smart dealer in Rivertucky (Riverside, CA)...

I hope you have better luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.