Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused about the "ForTwo" transmission. How can it be automatic and manual at the same time. Is there a clutch if you are in manual mode? What is the benefit of having both modes? Thanks for any information you can pass along.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom. To answer your question,, no there is no clutch. It is essentially an automatic - and will operate just as any other automatic. You can switch to the manual mode where you control the shifting and shift points,, but still no clutch. Here is a letter I received from Smart customer service that addresses that issue,, among others.
----------------
Dear smart Enthusiast, Thank you for your interest in smart USA. The smart fortwo, which will be available during the first quarter of 2008, will come equipped with a 3 cylinder, 1-liter gasoline engine. The engine is being manufactured by Mitsubishi and will require premium gasoline. At this time, there are no plans to offer a diesel version of the smart fortwo here in the United States. This decision was based upon the US emission requirements for the diesel engine. The smart fortwo has 71 horsepower and 66 pounds feet torque. The smart fortwo, which will be offered in the United States beginning first quarter 2008, will come equipped with an automated-manual 5-speed transmission. This means that you will have the option of driving the fortwo as an automatic vehicle, or as a stick shift. You will be able to switch between automatic and manual mode with the simple press of a button. In manual mode, however, there is no clutch pedal to depress to change gears, as this function is now controlled electronically. Thank you for your interest in smart. You will be hearing from us soon! Mili Shedrick Customer Care smart USA 1.800.smartusa www.smartusa.com

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Zacman, it looks like you have been getting the most you can out of customer service... THanks soo much for that and keep it up!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been driving a Smart in the states for about a year and always use the automatic option because manual isn't as smooth as it might be if you had a foot clutch - or so it seems to me. My wife prefers manual because she likes working the car. Shifting even in automatic is sometimes aggravating and the car seems to just sit there for a second or two as it moves into the next gear. Not a real good result in heavy traffic. Except for this little quirk in the transmission, I still love the car.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Problem with Trans (451) ?

My Wife and I test drove 3 euro smarts on Monday 7-23-07. We were not happy with the performance of the automatic transmissions.

Apparently, it's possible to hit a combination of power application that will cause the trans to downshift and leave you high and dry out in front of oncomig traffic.

It happened to both of us, and in different cars.

After the first incident I got back in line and drove another car. This time a Cabireo. I set out to duplacate the failure as I thought it might be just a quirk of this one car. No, it happened again.

My Wife talked to a Smart VP at the tour and was assured they are are aware of the problem and it will be fixed for the 2008 USA production run.

We plan to test drive our new Smart more than just around the block before we hand over our money.

A2 Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts