Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Had installed a Smart ForTwo Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow package (w/Base Plate). Also installed a battery disconnect switch. Not a cheap setup, but confidence in safety is a good thing.

I hitch and unhitch for towing on a daily basis using the procedures in 2013 Smart manual for Flat Towing, and Teach-in the transmission system after reconnecting the battery.

Problem: Always get check engine light after Teach-in the transmission. Always Have to restart the engine 5 times before the check engine light goes off. Using an OBD found the error code P0949, Auto Shift Manual Adaptive Learning Not Complete. Has anyone found this issue ? and how to correct it ? I know I can always take it to the Smart Center.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Huronlad, guess I should re-state, after turning on the battery, and placing the shift in Park, waiting for the 3 bars to disappear and show transmission in "P". When starting the engine the Check Engine light does not go off, Then have to re-start the engine 5 times before the check engine light go's off.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The disconnect is disconnecting the negative/ground side of the battery, yes?

What does the display show when you reconnect the battery with the shifter in the Neutral position?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, negative terminal. All lights on display go on, three bars show up, and after a several seconds, around 10 sec, then "N" displays, or "p" if have moved the shifter to o "P". Therefore I assume Teach-in is occurring.

So I think you are suggesting that Teach-in should not be occurring after battery reconnect.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Have you had any time when the check engine did not appear after reconnecting the battery and starting the car?

After reconnecting the battery with the battery in the Neutral position do you wait for it to show N in the display before moving the shifter to the Park position?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought the used Smart from Mercedes Benz lot about 3 weeks ago, had the tow package installed by Camping World, and check engine light has always appeared since the first towing after reconnecting battery and starting the car.

Have done both, after connecting battery wait till N shows, then shift to P. And after connecting battery, shift to P while the 3 bars are flashing and wait for P to show. Turn off ignition, wait for display to go off, start engine, and other variations after display shows N or P as appropriate.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Possibly try putting the shifter in Park prior to reconnecting the battery. The computer may prefer that. If not you may have to take it to the dealer. I expect the first thing the dealer will do is the blame the battery disconnect for the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huronlad, Tried implement your suggestion, but without the battery connected the transmission can only be placed on ’N” or “D”. Drove around the block with check engine light on, with the P0949 fault code. Everything seem to function / shift properly.

So, I guess to the Mercedes Benz dealer I may go (the local Smart Center). You are probably right about blaming the battery disconnect. Hopefully it is a warranty coverage. Otherwise there are horror stories about what may appear a seemingly simple issue that one can live with turn into $$$ fixes.

Thanks, for the time / suggestion !!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Huronlad, Tried implement your suggestion, but without the battery connected the transmission can only be placed on ’N” or “D”. Drove around the block with check engine light on, with the P0949 fault code. Everything seem to function / shift properly.

So, I guess to the Mercedes Benz dealer I may go (the local Smart Center). You are probably right about blaming the battery disconnect. Hopefully it is a warranty coverage. Otherwise there are horror stories about what may appear a seemingly simple issue that one can live with turn into $$$ fixes.

Thanks, for the time / suggestion !!
RE: P0949 code check engine light
Hello fellow Smart owners.
Had the same engine light/ P0949 code fault problem as stated above. I just installed a Roadmaster towing base plate to tow the "giggle box" behind our RV. All went very well towing it over 1000 miles.
However, same engine light problem occurred after towing and restoring the battery cut off switch using the exact procedure in the owner's manual. In all cases after driving some distance with the engine light on, the next re-start would clear the "check engine" light. Yesterday however, it took three restarts but the car was only driven a very short distance (a few feet) between the first two restarts. It may be the learning cycle is also mileage sensitive. After the third re-start I drove about 5 miles.

Jim M
SoCal

·
Registered
787 Posts
For my 2009 Passion, below is my "After towing" procedure. The red text is my modification to the owners manual instruction.

> After towing: Engage the parking brake.
> Turn the battery back on using the key for the previously installed battery disconnect switch.
>Move the gear selector lever to park position P.
> Turn the ignition key to the ON position. Listen for the transmission to cycle through the gears. P should appear on the multifunction display. If it doesn’t appear or you see the 3 bars of death, then move gear selector lever to the neutral position N, and listen again. When finished, N should appear on the multifunction display. Move the gear selector lever to park position P.
> If multifunction display shows P, start the car and set clock. If ESP warning light is on, turn the car off, wait 5 seconds and start it again. When done, turn the car off.
> Remove the ignition key from the starter switch.
> Lock the doors.
When I get a "Check Engine" light. I shut off the car, take the key out of the battery disconnect switch, count to 10, reconnect the battery, and restart the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for your input. Next time I will try your check engine light suggestion turning off the battery switch again. Have had no other problems with "relearning" other than the check engine light. Though, I do leave the shifter in N while it relearns. After P appears, I shift into P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts