Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a genuine chip or mod that will allow my 451 to shift like a 453 or like a regular automatic car? I am not digging the jerky transmission at all

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've not tried any of the aftermarket mods, but with mine at least, if I drive it like a manual and let off the gas when I want to shift, shift, and accelerate, it's a lot smoother. That unfortunately doesn't really work for wanting a typical auto though. :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can remap the throttle for faster shifts. Smartmadness can advise you and they sell throttle remap devices. As far as jerky shifts, it is probably your driving style. Accelerate smoothly and try not to floor it. If you get in heavy traffic, manual mode works best. Just takes a bit of practice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been driving manual all my life, I had a BT50 2009(mazda) in my country for my daily driver and shifting was smooth af... for a 2013 car, designed by MB, I can tell you that the jerky transmission is not due to my technique. I have seen a lot of people complain about it here and it seems it's either you get used to it or it magically disappears after a few miles. Mine has 17k miles so you would think it be optimal now. I solely drive it on manual and the shifting is really not the best (for a 2013 car). I wish I could fine a solution for this. I heard the 2016 model does not have that problem, which I could swap the pertinent components

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the swap for a 453 transmission would be difficult. The 453 was widened by a few inches to accomodate the 6 speed dual clutch transmission. The 453 was also available with a 5 speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Totally different motor and transmission between the two models. The 451 has a single clutch and the 453 has a dual clutch. That plus perhaps better programming improves the shifts but even the 453 isn’t butter smooth like a regular auto. I’ve lived with both . Remember, it is a manual transmission and clutch controlled by a computer. Need I say more? Lol. Some auto companies have put in a torque converter to soften the abruptness of shifts in these types of transmissions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally different motor and transmission between the two models. The 451 has a single clutch and the 453 has a dual clutch. That plus perhaps better programming improves the shifts but even the 453 isn’t butter smooth like a regular auto. I’ve lived with both . Remember, it is a manual transmission and clutch controlled by a computer. Need I say more? Lol. Some auto companies have put in a torque converter to soften the abruptness of shifts in these types of transmissions.
Is torque converter something that can be put on the 451?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Been driving manual all my life, I had a BT50 2009(mazda) in my country for my daily driver and shifting was smooth af... for a 2013 car, designed by MB, I can tell you that the jerky transmission is not due to my technique. I have seen a lot of people complain about it here and it seems it's either you get used to it or it magically disappears after a few miles. Mine has 17k miles so you would think it be optimal now. I solely drive it on manual and the shifting is really not the best (for a 2013 car). I wish I could fine a solution for this. I heard the 2016 model does not have that problem, which I could swap the pertinent components
I don't think it's you either; there are ways to make it less jerky, but I think that's just the nature of it and changing it involves investing significant time, effort, and money altering it.
Swapping I don't think would be realistic. One can do a lot of crazy things and make things fit (Project Binky), but for the time, hassle, and money I think it'd be easier to sell the 451 and buy a 453, or perhaps, pardon my heresy, get something else. Not knocking the car, I love mine, but it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is there a genuine chip or mod that will allow my 451 to shift like a 453 or like a regular automatic car? I am not digging the jerky transmission at all
Change the transmission fluid to Valvoline SynPower 75W-140. It's MB and foreign car compliant. I changed that out on Katerina and she was way quieter and less milkshaky. It looks like a bear, but jam the bottle in between the left spring. I believe it was 2qts. Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts