Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone found a coffee travel mug that fits in the Smart 453 cup holders? My Contigo mug, among the thinnest I've seen at 3.4", is much too large. It would be nice to not just find one, but find a high quality mug.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, OliverB! Nearest DD is an hour away. Wanting something of possibly higher quality like my Contigo mug, yet I've not seen the DD mug, and should avoid premature judgement. I will definitely check DD the next time I drive past. Any port in a storm!

Hoping for a variety of options.... Anyone else?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Try a Zojirushi travel mug. I have used Contigo mugs in the past and they keep the coffee hot 1-3 hours max.
The Zojirushi keeps the coffee hot 4-8 hours and it should fit well in your cup holder
16 oz: Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug, 16-Ounce, Smoky Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PO9T44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hBQHyb9HJT8NH

20 oz: Zojirushi SM-SA60-BA Stainless Steel Mug, 20-Ounce, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYOGUM2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dCQHybA5HV1X5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is perfect!

This measures 2.8" at the base. It's unclear if the cup holder will hold more than 2.5". Can I assume you have tried this mug in the 453?

I'm very appreciative. If you have tried it, I'll order it!

Also, it looks like you open the top to drink, instead of having a drinking slot like the Contigo. (Please correct me if I have this wrong.) Is this good for drinking, or is it more like a thermos, and you pore it into a separate mug to drink? Do you find drinking from the small white circle under the open top comfortable?

Surely I'm one of many with a 453 who are looking for something like this. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I drive a manual and not only do I have to worry about the diameter at the base but if the mug in any more than 5'' tall, I'm always hitting it when changing gears. The only useful holder is the one between the seats at the back. For those of you with arm rests, I think you will be left with only the 2 front cup holders. I did find a thermos with a spring action that pops the lid. For Canadians reading this, I found one at Mountain Equipment Coop that works well. I also found one at Your Independent Grocer (I believe this store is only in Ontario but is part of the Loblaws grocery chain). This later one is a taller and slightly narrower Thermos but it's a metallic copper Color that matches my smart's hazel brown color very nicely. Good luck, I can sympathize with the challenge. The first smart Diesel Model that came to Canada (the 450) had a huge cup holder, suited for Big Gulps from the 7/11 store. The 451 had the size just right but I found them too low and a bit out of reach to be practical. I guess with limited interior space, there is a bit of a challenge incorporating these things into the cabin. Not to mention every country likely has their own size of travel cups or mugs that suits their individual habits and needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone found a coffee travel mug that fits in the Smart 453 cup holders? My Contigo mug, among the thinnest I've seen at 3.4", is much too large. It would be nice to not just find one, but find a high quality mug.
I ended up buying two of the black Mercedes travel cups at the dealership. Black with silver Mercedes logo. They seem to keep drinks cold and coffee hot for several hours. I think I paid $15 each. They hold 16 ounces and I can still adjust my ac. I have the 2016 fortwo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
This one works for me and matches my car exterior colors too. Just not practical in the front holders as it's in the way when I'm shifting gears. Almost any cup or mug would be in the way with this layout however.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, MarcLad!

Can you tell me which mug that is, and a link where I can read about it and purchase it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Keorr, Unfortunately I got this at a local grocery store that has a few isle of miscellaneous gifts and house ware. I've washed the tags off and there are no markings as to the make on the thermos. When I go back to the store, I'll have a look to see if I can be of further assistance. I've been looking online for a copper colored travel mug for many months and I end up finding this thing in our local grocery store. It has a stainless steel interior as well. It was only about $15.00 Canadian....that almost free in US Dollars!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found that a large McD's Styrofoam cup fits perfect in the forward cup holders. I just can't figure out what's the 2 slot coin hold would be for. It's not very useful but what would be a good to put in it's place?

·
Registered
147 Posts

Every Starbucks travel mug fits in the rear cup holder. I have 3. 2 large and one extra large.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a huge tip! Thanks. Using the rear holder isn't very convenient given the arm rest.

Additionally, my Contigo cup does not fit in this rear holder, nor any others I have. This cup holder seems to be the same size as the others. Easily checked. I'll try a Starbucks mug!

Thanks again for the tip!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts