Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from a 40 miles round trip had 20% left parked in my garage shut it off and went to unlock the hatct to get the groceries and nothing! Looked at the dash and I see a YELLOW TRIANGLE with a lightning bolt inside and the ABS light is on but my keys won't work, the car won't start, it won't charge either and the TRIANGLE LIGHT stays on. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!! Only car I have and she's dead on the spot!!! ANY and ALL help welcomed!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! She's a 2014 Smart Fortwo EV and we solved the issue. After a diagnostic telling us our 12V was dead we charged it for a while then tried it and EVERYTHING came on and the DREADED warning triangle was GONE! So,we took the battery out went to the nearest auto parts store, bought a new 12V battery installed it and WALLA! Back zipping around is she again!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks for the reply! She's a 2014 Smart Fortwo EV and we solved the issue. After a diagnostic telling us our 12V was dead we charged it for a while then tried it and EVERYTHING came on and the DREADED warning triangle was GONE! So,we took the battery out went to the nearest auto parts store, bought a new 12V battery installed it and WALLA! Back zipping around is she again!
Good news
Post I made concerning my smart with a gas engine. Relatively new cars are very dependent on a healthy 12 volt battery
I replace my battery every 3 years.
Cheap insurance.
I would seriously consider replacing the 12-volt battery on a smart EV/EQ every 2 years just as cheap insurance.
Even an expensive $200 battery amortized over 2 years is pretty cheap insurance. And most aren't that expensive.
Considered that versus $5,000 to $10,000 high voltage Drive battery replacement which would you rather pay for?
Just common sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts