Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
17,371 Posts
...I don't believe there's a triangle service light...But, the ESP light is a triangle in 2008-2010 cars...

If the ESP light is solid on, I would believe your ESP may be experiencing a fault. :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low Voltage

Analyzer says P0562, Low Voltage. What should we do? The car was stuck in gear all night and was unable to get the key out. It is in Park now and we are able to get the key out.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Could your battery need charging? ESP is triangle in the center of dash on my '08 & '09 smarts. What year is your smart? Is it older model? Has the battery been replaced lately?

·
17,371 Posts
Low voltage definitely sounds like a drained battery. :(

Try charging it and seeing what happens. I don't recommend jump starting, that could hurt the SAM unit.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
From the owners manual

Warning!
When the ESP® warning lamp is illuminated continuously, the ESP® is not available or not operational due to a system failure.
Adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing road conditions and the non-operating status of the ESP®.
i It may be possible to clear a system failure by restarting the engine.
Restart the engine.
If the warning lamp still does not go out, have the system checked at an authorized smart center immediately.
:)

If the light stays on a smart center needs to check the ESP system. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2009 Smart Fortwo Passion

Could your battery need charging? ESP is triangle in the center of dash on my '08 & '09 smarts. What year is your smart? Is it older model? Has the battery been replaced lately?
The car died on us yesterday - stayed in gear - and was unable to get the key out. After flipping the switch under the console, we were able to get it into park again and the key would come out. Now, if we turn the key on accessory, the triangle light (among others) illuminates, but the car will not turn over. When we put it on an analyzer, it said low voltage P0562. I guess we will try to charge the battery. We have never replaced the battery. It is a one owner car, has had regular oil changes on schedule, but really nothing else. From what I see, some annual things need to have happened that we haven't done. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping me out:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car died on us yesterday - stayed in gear - and was unable to get the key out. After flipping the switch under the console, we were able to get it into park again and the key would come out. Now, if we turn the key on accessory, the triangle light (among others) illuminates, but the car will not turn over. When we put it on an analyzer, it said low voltage P0562. I guess we will try to charge the battery. We have never replaced the battery. It is a one owner car, has had regular oil changes on schedule, but really nothing else. From what I see, some annual things need to have happened that we haven't done. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping me out:eek:
We are waiting on the arrival of an ignition coil. Spark plugs were just changed and it looked like the coil needed to be replaced. What battery is recommended?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm banking on a bad battery. We bought our '11 used with 4000 miles on it. It had been parked for 2 years wrapped in an advertisement. The battery had gone just south enough to be able to crank the car, but it would make it do all kinds of really strange things on the instrument cluster...including displaying the light you're talking about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts