Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends!

I just purchased my first smart car - a 2015 Smart Fortwo Passion off Carvana. I'm now anxiously awaiting it's arrival! My question is this: the car is completely black, and I like the color. However, I remember reading somewhere that you can change out the tridions for different colors if you wanted to customize your car. I looked on the interwebs and I can't find anywhere to buy just tridions to swap out. I'd like to replace the black ones with silver ones because I think that'd look pretty awesome.

Does anyone have any tips? Is there a common website used where people buy new tridions?

Thanks all! I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Sincerely,

Brian H

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The tridion is a safety cell, is part of the frame, and is not swappable, as far as I know. The plastic body panels can be swapped for different colors, with reasonable time/effort.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
The tridion cell is an integral part of the frame, as stated by jzchen. It cannot be changed separately. Paint, or a good vinyl wrap are your only options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright no biggie at all! I'll just keep it black since I like it as-is anyway. It just would of been even cooler with that silver.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
No problem. And welcome to the forum! (Some have called it “the dark side”, while others “the asylum”)! I’ve been smartless for over a year and am still around....

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Welcome to SCoA!!! :)

Yeah, you can change the panels, but not really the safety cell.

I mean...you can, but it'll be an insanely cool project that'll probably take forever.

I recommend a wrap or a good paint shop could also do it. :)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Our dealership, Aristocrat Motors. Use to wrap the tridon cells. The smart cars, looked really good mono colored. That’s the route, I would aim for. Painting, them would be very expensive.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I believe the Trideon cell for sale on Ebay was part of a display at a dealership and was probably cutup to show the construction. Cell can be painted like a normal steel car, or wrapped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts