Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can answer my question. From what i am seeing on this forum there are some serious builders (gear heads):D out there. LittoDevil, that is some serious engine work. My question, if i unhook the wheel sensors the abs and auto stability control should be disabled. Will the drive work that way or will it be put into some kind of limp home mode. Since i am building a trike it would be nice if it would be that easy. Also if disabled would the .7 sec brake release delay be functional. Some pics of the progress.

Attachments

·
17,390 Posts
Take out fuse 11 (if you did happen to transplant the fuse box). Heck, if the SAM isn't there anymore I doubt the eps would even work.

But taking off the sensors should disable the system, or just confuse it to the point where it wouldn't work anyway.

And yes, if eps doesn't work, the 1s hill hold (brake release delay) won't work either.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You may be able to put both ABS sensors on the back wheels and trick the module into thinking you have 4 tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I looked into that but the rear pulse ring is 42 pulses per rev. and the front wheels are 96 pulses. I still may have to make a 96 pulse ring some how. maybe hook on to the speedometer cable drive off the front wheel. I was hoping I would not have to do that. Someone out there should unhook their front sensors and tell me what happens.:D

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
That is some serious work yourself! Incredible! Great imagination and keep us posted. This is some serious ingenuity and creative design you are doing with some great fabrication work. I hope somebody can post an answer to your question regarding the pulse ring.

·
17,390 Posts
Yes, I looked into that but the rear pulse ring is 42 pulses per rev. and the front wheels are 96 pulses. I still may have to make a 96 pulse ring some how. maybe hook on to the speedometer cable drive off the front wheel. I was hoping I would not have to do that. Someone out there should unhook their front sensors and tell me what happens.:D
According to Kane at www.evilution.co.uk the speedo reads from sensors on each wheel, so if the front ones weren't there it would only read off of two?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Exactly. Since it can't read from the front ones, it will be out of specifications of what the ECU is looking for and create the limp mode. It's like disconnecting the air bag and saying "since it isn't hooked up, it won't read it and the light won't come on because it says nothing is wrong with it." The fact is that if the ECU is programmed to read the sensors, just taking them out won't cut it because it will try and read the sensors if they are hooked up or not and create fault codes and limp modes.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
It would have to be two sensors on the front wheel, but the front wheel is already set up to go. The two rear wheels have the two rear sensors all set to go.

I do have a way to get it to work, but it would be time consuming and way to much work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's going to be an awesome trike !!! :)

Are you taking orders :rolleyes:

chief ................. got my $99 ready :D
$99 :eek: I have already built one trike. Check my gallery. Working for a penny per hour?:( It looks like everyone is thinking i will need to do the extra pulse ring and put both sensors on it. darn more work.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
:( It looks like everyone is thinking i will need to do the extra pulse ring and put both sensors on it. darn more work.
I guess I'm stupid but why can't you tie two inputs to one sensor. is there some kind of load issue? geez tie all four inputs to one sensor....

·
17,390 Posts
All sensors must be functional to be at least somewhat accurate and not cause limp mode. So space them apart and put two on one wheel.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'm impressed by the challenge you took on...<:)) I've built a lot of custom bikes, but never a trike with a car motor...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm impressed by the challenge you took on...<:)) I've built a lot of custom bikes, but never a trike with a car motor...
A challenge I can handle.:) My first trike was built form a geo metro. (see my gallery). This one is going to be very challenging with all the computer control on everything. I am an electronic tech. by trade but still a challange. I am getting a lot of good feed back from everyone and may get me on to ideas that i may not have had. Keep it coming. I was kind of serious about someone unhooking the front sensors and seeing what happens.:eek: may be asking a lot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wheel rotation sensors

It has been awhile since i posted to this thread. I misscounted on the amount of pulses. It was 48, half of the 96 i counted. Well i hooked up to the front wheel speedometer cable, figured out the wheel travel per revolution and the speedo ratio to match the back rotation and made a 18 pulse wheel and hooked the sensors to that. It worked.:eek: :D The speedometer reads right on and the limp home mode is gone. Fun ride already even with no body work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts