Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my smart serviced at the local Mercedes/smart center. When the car came out of the car wash this is what the right door trim looked like. Because I got in the drivers side I did not notice this. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

/Users/jerry/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2015/02/09/20150209-113116/EtZy%kbRT%Kyu3251MqOfQ/IMG_3689.jpg

·
17,371 Posts
I'm not seeing any pictures, but I assume you're talking about white spots in the black plastic?

In my experience, it has always been caused by some sort of wax/polish residue being left behind and drying into the plastic.

I've found two solutions:

1. Give it time. It'll eventually go away on its own (1+ months) unless you wash it at the same wash again.

2. Use a "plastic restorer" like Meguiars Ultimate Black, Wipe New, or similar...

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
The rear roof plastic on my Pure gets a kind of cloudy white on it at times, I usually use a pre-wax cleaner to rub it out and it looks great. follow with a bit of wax to make it last longer.
Some of the wax products will turn white on matte black plastic parts, that stuff takes awhile to fade and disappear. you can help it along using some 'Back to Black' It doesn't get rid of it completely, that just takes time but it makes it much less noticeable.

Some of the waxes will say on them that they will not turn trim white. I usually use one of those waxes, or Meguires Ultimate Black wax designed for Black cars (since mine is Black/Black)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a mat like black on black. I will try to load a photo once I learn how! Thanks for the tips! Jerry

·
17,371 Posts
I'd use either the drag and drop upload below (I don't like it) or something offsite like Photobucket.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weird to go in to the Mercedes/smart dealership without the discolored trim and have it come out looking like this!

·
17,371 Posts
Last time I had a dealership wash, it came out with water spots and the rear end still had dirt on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts