Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The driver of a Smart car led troopers with the Texas Department of Public Safety on a vehicle chase that ended in a northwest Houston neighborhood.

The chase began on the West Sam Houston Tollway in west Houston around 11:45 a.m. Wednesday and continued onto the northbound lanes of the 610 North Loop until the driver of the Smart car exited onto Ella Boulevard and drove onto the street.

The driver turned onto Kinley Lane and drove into a neighborhood where he parked the car on a driveway and surrendered to troopers and Houston police officers.

Troopers have not confirmed whether or not the Smart car driver parked the vehicle in front of his home.

Source with video: Troopers chase after Smart car, arrest driver on home driveway - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

·
Super Moderator
17,725 Posts
**Fixed links**

Nah, that thread is basically for whenever Jalopnik whines about us. This is a separate event from Jalopnik. It should stay, if only for the comedic value of watching the slowest police chase ever. :rofl2:

Que Benny Hill!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Getting into a police chase around these parts is a pretty common event - we seem to have three of them a month. With our high population of illegal aliens and outstanding felony warrants, many run from reflex when a stop is attempted.

The Houston Police Department, excellent in many other ways, tends to increase the intensity of these. There will be dozens of police cars involved, which ends up tying up traffic on the affected roads for hours.

And then there's the helicopters. I think that there are six or seven helicopters operated in one capacity or another by the local television stations, and they scramble for these as if they were gunships in RVN. We used to have trouble controlling them over chemical plant fires, and with a moving target like a car chase, the near misses come fast and furious.

In effect, what the result here was more ridicule for the smart brand. We haven't heard any comments yet, but I'm sure they are coming. (Our car is a dead ringer for the one in the chase.)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I just saw the Trooper chasing the Smart on video. I hate to say, i found it pretty funny. After the shocker of my day, it made my afternoon.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The thing I see is that the cop never turned on their lights, and the guy wasn't going any faster than anyone else along the road, stopped for red lights except the last one. I'm not sure he realized he was even being chased!

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,827 Posts
I like how he is being chased by the police, yet he is being passed by faster moving traffic......too funny......:D

·
Super Moderator
17,725 Posts
A Jalopnik commenter assumed the driver couldn't see the patrol car following him/her. Some of us know the cabrio top and rearview mirror can create a blindspot hindering your ability to see behind you. Heck, maybe this driver just never checks his/her mirrors.

That combined with the officer's lack of sirens probably led to this "chase".

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Houston Police Chase Smart Car

There are cars that are passing the Smart car. :cool: They did not indicate why the Smart car was being pursued.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just by coincidence, hubby and I were out for lunch today apparently right after this happened. When we came out of the restaurant, there was a local TV station's van complete with telescoping camera mounted on it, parked next to our car. We were wondering why everyone was giving us a double take. My smart is red, fortunately, LOL!
So far, the comments running here are like, " I never knew anyone could pedal that car that fast!" and "Nobody had a bb gun to shoot out his teeny tires?" and "OMG, Mr. Bean in a car chase!" and "Stupid hippies and their plastic cars." **Groan** No respect......

·
Super Moderator
17,725 Posts
Just by coincidence, hubby and I were out for lunch today apparently right after this happened. When we came out of the restaurant, there was a local TV station's van complete with telescoping camera mounted on it, parked next to our car. We were wondering why everyone was giving us a double take. My smart is red, fortunately, LOL!
So far, the comments running here are like, " I never knew anyone could pedal that car that fast!" and "Nobody had a bb gun to shoot out his teeny tires?" and "OMG, Mr. Bean in a car chase!" and "Stupid hippies and their plastic cars." **Groan** No respect......

Some of those were actually funny. Unless they're the "you'll die in a crash" comments I usually laugh with them. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.