Smart Car of America Forum banner

Troubleshooting Guide

17K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DreamCarOwner 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure we've covered this page at Evilution before, however with my weird, intermittent shifting / limp / trust+ESP issue of late, this has been a great resource to help me troubleshoot what may cause the odd error with my 450.

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia - its a link to the various sensors and what faults they can cause.

#5 ·
Jeandre check for a blown fuse. Fuse 18 is for the dash cluster and the tachometer and clock pods if you have them. Just get a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the fuse and look to see if it is burned out. I think I am remembering correctly that it is fuse 12. Here is a diagram of the fuses to help you locate it. It's a little bit tight trying to get at the fuses under the dash. DCO

#6 ·
3Smarts. As silly as it sounds be sure that both doors are closed and the hatch is closed securely. I spent 15 minutes one night trying to lock my Smart after getting the groceries out of the back. I closed the rear glass but it I guess I didn't get it latched. That is usually my culprit. For another test of the system, with your Smart running and the doors closed hit the lock button on the button bank. It should flash. Then shut off the car, remove your key and exit the vehicle. When you close your door it should now be locked. If that doesn't work you could possibly have a blown fuse. Fuse 31 is the one you need to check to see if it is blown, see the above picture for the fuse box diagram. If it isn't a blown fuse it is more than likely a faulty relay inside the SAM unit. Your key FOB doesn't work it nor the dash button bank and I would be pretty certain that both doors and the hatch solenoids wouldn't go bad all at once. If you put a fuse in it and activate the locks and the fuse blows again it would mean either a shorted out lock solenoid or a rubbed bare wire someplace. DCO

#7 ·
Jim Shively, the flashing wrench on your instrument cluster is a reminder to take your Smart into the dealer for servicing. Here is the procedure I saved from the forum to reset the maintenance wrench I found it is hard to do. Some people say they breeze right through the procedure and other people (like me) struggle through doing it a dozen times. If the instructions are a little confusing I also added a you tube video that shows how to do it also. DCO

1. Begin this procedure with the ignition in the off position (position 0).
2. Switch the ignition to position 1 (accessory on).
3. Activate the maintenance indicator in the instrument display by pressing the left instrument cluster button twice (double-press). You are successful when you see the wrench icon and the odometer readout changes to indicate the number of days until the next service (this may be a negative number).
4. Switch off the ignition (position 0) within 10 seconds. If the wrench icon disappears before you switch the ignition off, restart the procedure from the beginning.
5. Push and hold the left instrument cluster button and immediately switch the key to position 1 (accessory on). It is not necessary to switch the engine on. Note that if you hesitate after pressing the left instrument cluster button before switching the ignition key to position 1, you will reset your trip odometer instead.
6. Continue holding the left instrument cluster button for approximately 10 seconds. You will be successful when the maintenance service interval changes to "10000" and the flashing wrench changes to a solid wrench. You may now release the left instrument cluster button and the wrench icon will disappear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.