Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just saw the smart car at the Tulsa, Ok road show.

I have a question about the car that I hope someone here can answer. I am a performer/entertainer and in some of my shows I use what is a called a suitcase table, it is basically a case that holds my props and that opens up to also be used as a table.

I am wanting to know the height of the trunk area so I can know if I would be able to transport the table in the smart car.

When we looked at the car I am pretty sure it will be wide and deep enough, but I don't know about the height, going on looks (didn't bring a tape measure) the height might be cutting it close.

Thanks

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Somebody will have to measure it for you. The only published data is that the storage space is 8 cubic feet (12 if you load to the roof).

·
Registered
465 Posts
We reservation holders are up for our invitational drive Wednesday...I'll try to remember to take a tape measure to satisfy you all.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
RLove our drive down here is next Wednesday the 24th at Round Rock or Dell Convention center (still got to google the address) ---- And likewise , I will try to remember a tape measure.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Alright, we had our test drive today, and they had a demo car sitting out for everyone to sit in and check out.

I measured for usable space, and not to the very limit assuming that you'll need to slide something in straight on. And, the seats in front were leaned back a bit like you probably would have them. With that being said - the measurement across was 40", 28.5" tall, and 11.5" deep, (there is some slop in this figure like I said - you could move the seats forward and crank them up more vertically, and pick up several more inches if needed.

I hope this helps.

Randy

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Based on RLove's numbers that will get you about 8 cubic feet. To reach the 12 cubic foot number I've seen, you'd have to move the seats forward another several inches.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Based on RLove's numbers that will get you about 8 cubic feet. To reach the 12 cubic foot number I've seen, you'd have to move the seats forward another several inches.
Are they counting the extra four feet by folding the passenger seat down flat I wonder?

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Are they counting the extra four feet by folding the passenger seat down flat I wonder?
I can't imagine that would be the case, but as you said, you were measuring loosely. You could probably fit a full 12 cu.ft. of water into that space if you had a way to confine it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The other four cubic feet

If RLove's numbers are based on measuring to the top of the seats, I'm pretty sure the other four cubic feet is the space above the seats up to the roofline.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Alright, we had our test drive today, and they had a demo car sitting out for everyone to sit in and check out.

I measured for usable space, and not to the very limit assuming that you'll need to slide something in straight on. And, the seats in front were leaned back a bit like you probably would have them. With that being said - the measurement across was 40", 28.5" tall, and 11.5" deep, (there is some slop in this figure like I said - you could move the seats forward and crank them up more vertically, and pick up several more inches if needed.

I hope this helps.

Randy
So the question is . . . where are the extra 7" of length they added?:confused:

·
Registered
522 Posts
So the question is . . . where are the extra 7" of length they added?:confused:
The nose and tail both received extra length over the 450 model. The nose got the most. Made more room for the removable "hood" in the front. Not sure if there is any room in the front for small stuff:confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
The front end of the smart was lengthened a tad to meet new pedestrian crash standards. You'll notice raised hoods and front fenders on many other new-for-2008 models for the same reason. (The new Honda Accord comes immediately to mind.) While they were at it, smart also added a bit to the passenger compartment and to the rear storage area. The rear storage on the 451 is significantly larger than on the old 450 model. That being said, two shotglasses is much more than one shotglass. Smart's "trunk" is still tiny. That's part of its charm. Perhaps a bass amp will fit if you fold the front seat flat. I've seen photos of amazingly large items crammed into the rear of a smart!

There is no designed-in storage space under the front hood of the smart. It is for mechanical access only. The radiator fluid, windshield washer fluid and headlight bulbs are all easily accessible from there.

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is no designed-in storage space under the front hood of the smart. It is for mechanical access only. The radiator fluid, windshield washer fluid and headlight bulbs are all easily accessible from there.
Based on what I've read, the Canadians have difficulty when it comes to accessing the headlamps. Hopefully this has been addressed in the 451 for the USA. ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Front end piece

The Brits mentioned the 451 nose piece is easily detached, speculating easily spirited away. A midnight auto part??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts