Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going after My Smart's front suspension. So let's Start with what I believe I would like.
Stock Ride height.
Stock springs.
New bushings.
New Strut tower mounts
Clean up lol the slop movement and noise.

That's the starting point.

Intent is to run 205/50 15s up front 225/45 15s in the rear.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I did some of this on my 2010, wasn't that expensive or difficult. Will be interesting to see what you do.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like its back to the shop for the front wheel bearings.

That's above my current DIY circumstance. Should I go for the Beck Arnley units.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It’s not so difficult to get the knuckle out, but pressing in the bearing… a bit more of a challenge, even if you are GI Joe with kung-fu grip. It takes about 20 tons to remove and press in the bearings. Many small shops will do this for $50ish, but be sure to tell them how to use the pins. If not, you will be changing the bearing again in about a month.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after a, "Soft Drive from NYC to Pittsburgh Pa to baby the wheel bearing until Monday"
Turned in to an all out Sprint after having to wait out the storm to leave NYC and make in back in a window of time to get back before the next round of Thunder storms hit, I am confident the car is Good for the Rally at the Glen. I left NYC at 4:45 am got to Pittsburgh at 10 am. Took care of errand and left Pittsburgh at 11am. I got back in NYC at 6 pm with a nice stop for lunch in the process.
In that high speed run the suspension on the car was the best its been in a long time no rattles, no clatter no slop. The harder I drove it the better it got. I saw 5600 rpms a lot on this trip. The upper front strut mount area was the biggest cause of improvement. Last week while going through the Silicone Lube ritual, I focused on that area I lubed both sides up real well from the top and bottom. They are designed to twist and I finally got enough lube in there to free it up and get it moving as designed. I also went through the car and removed or secured every rattling thing I could find, including change in the cup holder and crap in the glove box and rear hatch door storage area. The Car just Moves so right.

Oh It will still get wheel bearings but I am not afraid to run these the rest of the summer. I will read up and try to find who claims the lowest resistance quietest bearings. At this point Beck/Arnley looks like the choice I will have installed this winter. I will stand fast on the Smart the rest on the summer season. And Use that Money to sure up Harlem Edition Support SUV for the winter. CV joint, Windshield, and Fuel Pump leak for that one.

Harlem Edition Suspension ON HOLD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts