Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2009 Smart car fortwo 451 pure and I'm looking to gain the best possible performance. Aside from what I have already done, (oil filter and oil change, air filter change), what else would help? Tires seem fine, brakes are solid. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the k&n filter ironically by shear luck, but not sure about the silicone hose replacement, do you have a picture?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Lube all chassis pivot points. drive it in manual mode shifting gears with the gear shift stick. The space between the top of your windshield and your roof run a strip of electrical tape across it from one side to the other. If you opt to keep your stock air box and get your intake air from out side of the engine bay, KnN air filter and power design ram air side scoop. Weather stripping in the gap along the side of your windshield, along your roof panel to your rear roof spoiler. Add a shifter boot.

The KnN filter appox $50.00 and the powerdesign ram air side scoop approx $95.00. do actually increase intake air volume for more performance. ie. The same hills that car would bog in 5th gear and down shift to keep pace. After install top the hill in 5th gear at pace with no downshift.

The rest of my suggestions were the best improvements to overall car feel and cost $25.00 total.

One More at $9.00 use a little Marvel Mystery Oil as per directions in your engine oil and gas tank.

Then just drive it daily with out much more until you go 500 to 1000 miles while you put together your wish list of mods. Car should be nice and stable by then and you will know exactly what you need to add to make you happy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The space between the top of your windshield and your roof run a strip of electrical tape across it from one side to the other.
This seems strange. What's the point of this? How does it improve perfomance?
Weather stripping in the gap along the side of your windshield, along your roof panel to your rear roof spoiler.
Same questions as above.
use a little Marvel Mystery Oil as per directions in your engine oil and gas tank.
My advice is to do a lot of research before using "mystery", "miracle" or really any oil additives. Especially if you are going to put that stuff in your gas tank :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The k&n filter I scored for 9.99 and as for shifting gears in manual mode, mine is an automatic manual. I saw the mystery oil you mentioned, but unless I hear from someone I know who has used it, ill wait. as for the tape and weather stripping I am confused as well. As for air intake, changing the filter has already helped, I dont see running anything outside of my engine compartment. Thanks anyway for all the tips and ideas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
as for shifting gears in manual mode
From a performance standpoint, it is better to use the stick or paddle shifters rather than just sticking it in drive and letting the computer decide when to shift.

The shift points set by Smart are good for commuting, city driving and mpg, but they weren't chosen for performance.

Just my opinion, your results may vary :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Combustion engines are not new. They are modernized with sensors monitoring, reporting, and adjusting things, some things from the past hot rod shade tree mechanics still apply. Buy All means do be skeptical and protective of your vehicle with any suggestion you are uncomfortable with,

On to the idea of Tune up/Performance More power, more efficient, smoother, quieter, and more enjoyable to be in.

the KnN filter and sounded different one month latter this air scoop at speed was a noticeable difference

Tape is cheap and cut down on wind noise significantly along with mentioned weather stripping the wind no longer seems to move the car around.

and this just feels sportier

Find a car lot or a friend with one that appears newer or in better shape drive that one to compare yours to then upgrade things as you go. When you need brakes upgrade when you need tires upgrade. Little piece at a time
and enjoy the car. Learn it as you drive it.

Got Big bucks.... Fly to Greece and see these guys;
X-motors

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Combustion engines are not new. They are modernized with sensors monitoring, reporting, and adjusting things, some things from the past hot rod shade tree mechanics still apply. Buy All means do be skeptical and protective of your vehicle with any suggestion you are uncomfortable with,

On to the idea of Tune up/Performance More power, more efficient, smoother, quieter, and more enjoyable to be in.

the KnN filter and sounded different one month latter this air scoop at speed was a noticeable difference

Tape is cheap and cut down on wind noise significantly along with mentioned weather stripping the wind no longer seems to move the car around.

Find a car lot or a friend with one that appears newer or in better shape drive that one to compare yours to then upgrade things as you go. When you need brakes upgrade when you need tires upgrade. Little piece at a time

X-motors

X-motors
cool thanks for sharing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts