Smart Car of America Forum banner

Turbo build

40K views 131 replies 35 participants last post by  jetfuel 
#1 ·
OK guys I will updated this on a day to day basis. As many of you know I will not spend the money on these over priced parts that the vendors are selling here in the US. So I took matters into my own hands and started building my very own turbo kit. First off went with a smaller turbo to recieve instant boost (spool). The exhaust side is getting mocked up tomorrow pics will follow. Also this is going to be a water to air intercooled kit :D with nitrous to cool the turbo even more!!!! Hope everyone is ready for Jan. 30th in Orlando I know I will be.
Turbo (notice Mitz emblem to match the motor in the car)

Turbo and Blow off valve

See less See more
#7 ·
John
I have access to tons of surplus military and aerospace tubing, If you know what you need (I will assume 2" aluminum for the cold sideand 1 3/4" to 2" stainless for the hot side).
I can send you some bends, you would need to cut and fit them, then tape them together with no gaps, then you could send them back to me to weld or have someone local do it. I will have to charge you (I am a business after all) but it will be much less than a lot of other fab shops.
I can also get you all of the silicone couplers, T bolt clamps, and maybe even the intercooler at very competive prices.
Even if your not interested in any of that I am always here for moral support, I am working on a turbo/nitrous Supra this week, going for 700HP!:cool:

Whats the turbo out of? It looks like it has an internal waste gate, that will make things much easier.

#8 ·
Its out of a mitsubishi 3000gt twin turbo but it has never been in a car as it is brand new! Yes I want to fab up a real turbo header. I have all the piping for this kit now. Also let me know what you can get me a small water to air intercooler for with a heat exchanger as well

#11 · (Edited)
Stock 3000 GT VR4 (assuming my quick search got good information)
-1700 RPM just starts to make some boost (stock VR4)
-2200 RPM reaches peak boost on stock VR4
-3 liter motor with twin turbos making 320 hp = 1.5 liter 160 hp each
-About 9 to 12 PSI boost, not sure but I think after 94 they ran about 12 PSI.
As far as the smart goes
-1 liter motor = less exhaust pulse energy so higher RPM to build up boost.
(multiply RPM by 1.5 assuming our engine is 1/3 smaller than 1.5 liters and generates less exhaust pulse energy)
-1700 RPM x 1.5= at least 2550 RPM to start building some boost.
-2200 RPM x 1.5= at least 3300 RPM to reach same boost as stock 3000 GT.

I think this turbo will be a bit slow to spool up but should be very efficient above 4000 RPM
Good luck with the build, will be watching.

#14 ·
New pic cat to turbo was done today. Down pipe and wastegate are getting done tomorrow along with the turbo to throttle body pipe and bov.

Here is a pic of the wideband gauge by aem guess where this is going ;)
Here is a pic of the external wastgate much easier to adjust
Here is a pic of the bov as well

#23 ·
Babybenz,

Why do you say BPP is joke? I have one of his turbo's in my 451 and it runs great. I have the GT20 and with 5 lbs of boost. It was dynoed at 101 hp at the wheels. The IA temp, per my scan guage has never gone above 175 and it only reaches that on extended pulls at full throttle on the highway. Once I take my foot off the pedal that temp drops right back to 130 or less (and this was when outside temp was in the low to mid 90's with humidity in the 70's or higher. BPP is in the process of putting an intercooler in it and we are going to set the boost higher once that is installed. I love this turbo, it really makes a difference.

#24 ·
I said they are a joke not the turbo. All I wanted was a base map and they said oh well blah blah blah. Thats ok I will have it tuned out here. I was not even going to use there base map I just wanted it as a start to furthur tune. Also most base maps can be downloaded off the comp. Then he was like oh well if I find anything out I will call you what a joke, he does not even have my number. So there you go. If you run an intercooler I would reccommend a water to air not one in the engine bay

#25 ·
If you run an intercooler I would reccommend a water to air not one in the engine bay
Now I'm intrigued. If you are using an intercooler "not in the engine bay" than I guess it would be up front. The plumbing from the turbo to intercooler and back to intake would seem to be quite long and could add to lag and increase temp. By the way, my Syclone has a real nice compact air/water IC. I've been looking to see if anyone has one for sale that may have replaced it with a front mount. I'll be listening in....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.