Will you buy it if we build it?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Turbo Charger kit for the 451 Smart Car

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!** / icon and title **>I am doing a survey to see who would be interested in a Turbo Charger kit for the Smart. Price point would be in the $4500.00 range for the complet kit including any fuel pressure modifications and/or CPU programming. Kit would be after the CAT to avoid emission issues. The Turbo is a variable vane housing so a wastegate is not needed.

Please post your response on this site so I can justify manufacturing the kit. Kit production would take approximately 2 months for R&D and finalization. We will have tech support and a warranty as well. I will have some more specific HP data but we are looking at anywhere from 20-40HP increase based on boost.

Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
375 Posts
After the cat turbocharger?

wow...

Not to rain on your parade, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference where you put it.

You'll also run into some nasty packaging issues if you decide to play around with stock manifold, not much room to be had if you'd like to keep a muffler.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Shane

All you need to do is source the ECU mapping software and computer...

Our 10:1 motor is already set up for turbo
You can buy from Europe every factory turbo part
all the is needed is the Turbo ECU program

I think all the factory parts can be had in the $2000~$2500 range

Post cat would have too much lag IMO,
I doubt you will have the room to do a post cat system as noted above

But in the final analysis...$4500+ is too much for all but 4 or 5 smart owners to get 20~40HP

A full smartsuki kit is in the $10,000 range and less then 15 total folk in the usa will do it

·
Registered
240 Posts
$4,500 is too expensive, pure and simple. A state-of-the-art turbo system upgrade/replacement for my my Mazdaspeed MX-5 is $2,500. That price includes my choice of GT2554R, GT2560R, or GT3071R turbo mechanism. For the smart I would not expect a turbo to cost over $2,500 either.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think the cost is a bit high for a 1 liter engine, maybe under $ 2,000. Most TRD (Toyota supercharger kits) run about $ 2,000 for $25-35,000 cars/trucks with 3.5 liter plus engines.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rolling on the floor

All you gotta do is talk to me and geez, i'm in kansas city, Mo.
I'm not trying to be a jerk , but you guys are clueless. Try searching my prior posting... geez!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
All you gotta do is talk to me and geez, i'm in kansas city, Mo.
I'm not trying to be a jerk , but you guys are clueless. Try searching my prior posting... geez!!
You're worse than that guy that keeps asking about 17" wheels in chrome....everyday.

Always stating that everyone is an idiot, then "not offering tech support" to support your claims.

Can a turbo be slapped onto one of these cars for less than $1000? Sure.

I personally don't feel like rigging up a setup like that, if you feel so inclined then go for it. Brabus beating HP is nothing to brag about, people have already tweaked the 84bhp car to over 120bhp in europe.

The biggest expense to boost this car is the remap, even on a NA car its around $700 to get it done plus you have to send your ecu overseas. Nobody in the US, to my knowledge, has the ability to play around with that aspect of tuning right now.

There is someone else on this board that I think you'd get along with, I think he was in the thread about hot-air intakes. His s/n escapes me but I know there was alot of name dropping, inflated claims without proof to back it up and a picture of a droopy-eyed MR2. Go talk to him, you two would probably hit it off with your drifto mad-tyte 240sx nonsense.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Considering you aren't trying to be a jerk, you are doing a good job.
Reread a few of your old posts and I now have a lower opinion of you than when I started.

You are a dreamer. Where is the T25 turbo that you said would be so easy to fit on? The first smart 450 only had a T12 frame. If you fitted it it would lag like hell from start and probably blow the head off at full blast.

Turbo kits are still being developed in Germany and they have had the 451 since day 1 and have all the parts and remaps. Obviously not as easy as you think it is.

Either do it and prove us wrong or shut up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys I wont pretend to know much about turbo systems but it is my understanding it is kind of like free power. Do you think there is a way to improve performance while improving gas mileage? I may be way off on how these systems work but I would appreciate any information in this area.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Turbos increase power by adding air pressure, and to keep with the (1:14?) stoichiometry fuel/air ratio, that means you have to add fuel to keep the mix right. Adding power reduces MPG. Increasing efficiency of the engine/drivetrain is the only way to add both at once. Replacing gasoline with another fuel such as hydrogen only means that you're changing the combustible fuel. A gas/electric hybrid replaces some of the combustible fuel with electric power recaptured from already burned gasoline.

Anyone with first-hand knowledge is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, $4,500 for a turbo to give maybe 50% boost to a $16,000 car... not worth it for me. NOS and hydraulics, though... make that bunny hop, man!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
SuperGeek... all is good.... but minor correction the "air : fuel ratio" for most efficient burn is 14:1

Increasing the motor's power can (if engineered correctly ) increase MPG

BUT generally you are correct.... if you take a 40MPG car at 71 HP and add a turbo to get 84 HP to the same car odds are good the MPG will go down to 33~35MPG as the owner uses all the extra power to accelerate faster for the fun of G forces

ON the Other Hand, comparing both cars, the Normally Aspirated 71HP vs the 84HP turbo ...the Turbo can actually be more fuel efficient at constant Highway speed and RPM

Adding a turbo kit will never pay for it self in MPG savings no matter how conservatively you drive

But it can make this dinky car a lot more fun to drive and I will be waiting patiently for some USA tuner to offer a modest $2500~$3000 kit that includes the proper ECU programming

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
BobbyBRD....my first thought is to bid you a fond farewell and gentle "don't let the door hit your butt" chide

But seeing as this is your only post in this thread, I am a bit curious about what bunched up your panties?

·
Registered
9 Posts
OMFingG!!

I'm out of this place for good.

Admin: feel free to erase my account.

Back to smart-forum.de for me!
Weird :confused:.

Anyway I was just curious due to my experience with my GTI. I have the 2.0 turbo and after having the ecu reflashed to raise the boost level of the turbo I noticed a 2 to 3 mpg increase on average. You have to keep your foot off the pedal :D. VW erased my program recently during an ecu update and now my mileage has fallen a few mpg.

I guess if it was just a 2.0 minus the turbo it may get better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Weird :confused:.

Anyway I was just curious due to my experience with my GTI. I have the 2.0 turbo and after having the ecu reflashed to raise the boost level of the turbo I noticed a 2 to 3 mpg increase on average. You have to keep your foot off the pedal :D. VW erased my program recently during an ecu update and now my mileage has fallen a few mpg.

I guess if it was just a 2.0 minus the turbo it may get better.
Back when I drove and raced a Mitsubishi G32B we raised boost the old fashioned way. Washers under the waste gate spring.
The motor had about 7.5psi from the factory and would get a respectable 34-38 mpg at 100kmh.
With the boost around 10psi mpg dropped in the mid to high 20's.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts