Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best and most reliable turbo kits for the 451? I have a 09 Smart Brabus with 41k miles. Is is safe to bolt on a turbo with the current mileage? I heard the stage 3 kits makes 160hp to wheels!!!! Thats 3x the power of a stock motor.....

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
SFR is the only vendor in the states offering turbo kits for the smart to my knowledge... Stock motor puts out 70 horse... 3 times would put you in the 210 range... little optimistic...:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
$5,500 will buy you The Speed Force Racing Stage 3 Smart 451 turbocharger system (shiny pieces and parts) to "bump up the power to an incredible 158 ponies at the wheels with 100 octane racing fuel!"

YMMV
http://www.speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=1036

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the stage 2 would be more practical with regular pump gas (93 octane) here in the east coast. Stage 3 might be an overkill

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I think the stage 2 would be more practical with regular pump gas (93 octane) here in the east coast. Stage 3 might be an overkill
I would agree... Besides alot of the racing fuels are heavily leaded and will play hell with your O2 sensors... Racing fuel can get quite pricey per gallon...

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
..are the SFR kits running through the stock exhaust manifold and cat converter????...

Jetfuel...can't remember...

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
..are the SFR kits running through the stock exhaust manifold and cat converter????...

Jetfuel...can't remember...
Stage I uses the factory exhaust manifold & cat... Stage II does too but you can upgrade for a fee and get the header... Stage III comes with header...

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
If I was going to spend that amount of cash for a turbo for the smart I would recommend the stage II kit and pay the difference to get the water to air intercooler (optional) instead of the air to air intercooler that SFR supplies with the kit... And, if money is no issue might as well spring for the header unless emissions testing is an issue in your state...And, SFR has a nice looking stainless dual tipped center exhaust if you want to go hog wild...
There's a host of other goodies you can add like a boost controller, blow off valve, water-meth system, nitrous, etc, etc...
All of this will probably add up to more than what your car is worth, but hey,It'll turn the little bugger into a bronco busting hobby horse...:cool:

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
...yep...I got me one of those bronco busting hobby horse without all the fanfare ....

Jetfuel...and a life time warranty to boot....

·
Registered
148 Posts
$5,500 will buy you The Speed Force Racing Stage 3 Smart 451 turbocharger system (shiny pieces and parts) to "bump up the power to an incredible 158 ponies at the wheels with 100 octane racing fuel!"

YMMV
http://www.speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=1036
Says on their site that the 158 hp is with use of air/air intercooler. Adding air/water intercooler bumps it up to 175 rwhp. Have to read that part at the bottom of stage 3 page.

·
Registered
318 Posts
SFR Stage II with a air/water intercooler is my suggestion... If you are not capable/interested in building your own.

You could save yourself a great deal of money piecing parts together but if you want it now, buy the stage II kit.

I would say the kit I built is comparable to the Stage II kit and I spent a third of the price and have water/meth injection. I was in the "Right place at the right time" for a major portion of the parts... thanks BarneyO.
Still, would be saving money even without the super score from Barney.

I'm running non-intercooled with a homemade airbox so I could incorporate the naca-duct (Exterior air scoop) for the turbo intake. With that and the water/methanol injection, I don't see intake air temps over 90 degrees even when beating on it, hitting 8-10psi...
I also did a bit of heat shielding too.
Air/Fuel ratio numbers stay in the 12.8-11.8 range.

I personally don't feel the air/water intercooler is necessary (and alot of extra work) unless you plan on getting into the higher boost numbers (10+ psi) or live in a pretty hot climate... Just incorporate the exterior scoop so you're not sucking in hot air.

The air/air intercooler is pointless...

That's my :2cents:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Also, the GT2056S is kinda a big turbo for our little engines, so prepare for boost to really kick in around 3.5k RPM.

Some of the other gang have switched to a GT15 or GT12 so boost kicks in much sooner...

I have the smallest GT20 Garrett makes (I believe), the GT2052, so just oil-cooled and simple.
Boost kicks in about 2.5-3k rpms.

I really wasn't interested in running coolant lines for the smaller turbo and I'm very happy with my boost kicking in about 3k RPM.

Plays very well on curvy mountain roads.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Also, Also...
Don't waste your money on the Brisk Racing plugs...

Learn how to side-gap your own spark plugs, that is the only benefit you get from those $26 ea. plugs... Again, in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts