Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it has been discussed ad naseum in the big turbo thread. But I wanted a bit more info, if I could get it.

Someone at my mechanic brought in their 451. They have added a turbo kit and it looks a lot like the one I saw in Turbo42's car at Nationals. This car is throwing ambient air temperature codes. Isn't that part of the problem with the turbo addition? Getting all of that programming tuned properly so it won't throw a code? Was a fix found? If so, can someone point me to it please?

Also, I know part of the problem stems from the facts that the airbox sensor is probably gone and that the air filter is just sitting in the hot engine bay.

My mechanic has been amazing to me and I would like to return the favor.

Engine bay:

·
Registered
755 Posts
The problem with that setup is that the intake air can get very hot... I've managed to get it up to 250 F* degrees using that setup! So yes that's why it's throwing a code.. the ambient intake air temp and the MAP sensor is combined as one inside the intake manifold. The only fix is to get cooler air to it.

If you take out that intercooler and run it straight from the output of the turbo into the throttle body you'll actually yield a cooler intake air temp.

That's why I designed a water to air intercooler setup to drop my intake air temp down to around 110 under boost... correction that would mean no higher then 110 degrees :)

Larry

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm currently using Larry's air/water intercooler setup and I can vouch for the low IAT's. When I use the speed limiter as my "cruise control" the IAT's stay at or below 110F. Cruising at 75MPH it's typically below 100F all the time -- even with quick bursts right up to the speed limiter. Well over 20K miles of hard boosting with SFR's Stage III+ and no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Ambient air temp sensor at least in the 451 series is in front of the car. So, my guess that either the error code was wrong, or the code for the IAT Sensor: (inlet air temperature sensor) is shared, or what the title for this old topic needs a small change.

p0071 would be the error code for Ambient air temp sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts