Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red with black heated leather interior. Instrument package. A very fun car with only 19,000 miles. The turbo makes the car safer as it has enough power to get out of the way now! I have too many cars and I just retired and need to eleminate some of them. Very clean, never wrecked and always garaged. Asking $12,000. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome. I wish I had known of this site before. I would have been a regular.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get pic's and post today if I can figure out how to post. The car is in Lubbock, Texas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has an SFR Stage 1 turbo kit. It includes a Garrett turbocharger. The dyno of the car showed 145 hp at the rear tires after installation. It was 64 hp before installation. A very noticeable difference!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see the pic's but they are not in the gallery. I am not very computer literate. I get to your step 9 and click submit. It goes to a new screen with one of the pic's displayed in each box and all the pic's have a checked box. After that if I go to another screen all is lost. HELP! I need to find a 9 year old to get this done.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
It has an SFR Stage 1 turbo kit. It includes a Garrett turbocharger. The dyno of the car showed 145 hp at the rear tires after installation. It was 64 hp before installation. A very noticeable difference!

How much boost are you running? That's about a 124% increase, I didn't know that was possible without tons of modifications.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
I think the pressure blow-off is set for 8 pounds.
OK, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I thought a rough way to determine the ball park increase in horsepower by boost was:
8pounds of boost divided by atmosphere pressure 14.7 equals about 54%. Then stock horsepower times 54% equal gain 34.5 in your case. For a total of 98.5 hp total. Of course actual results will vary, but my thought was anything way out of line with that was reason for concern. With your dyno reading you would need 18.2 psi to get that number, and on a high compression motor, that is way more than it could take. Barney, am I way off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Killer,
You may be right. I never checked the numbers, only the dyno sheets. Also the info in the SFR turbo kit I could have the 5 or the 8 pound increase. Being greedy I went for the 8. No other mods have been done to the engine. Dyno's crazy? I don't know. I do know this is a totally different car from before. I really appreciate your questions and interest!
Joe

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
OK, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I thought a rough way to determine the ball park increase in horsepower by boost was:
8pounds of boost divided by atmosphere pressure 14.7 equals about 54%. Then stock horsepower times 54% equal gain 34.5 in your case. For a total of 98.5 hp total. Of course actual results will vary, but my thought was anything way out of line with that was reason for concern. With your dyno reading you would need 18.2 psi to get that number, and on a high compression motor, that is way more than it could take. Barney, am I way off?
Nope...

I don't believe the SFR stage I kit is even rated that high ... Stage II is only rated @115 and that is with an air to air intercooler that stage I doesn't have...:shrug:

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Killer,
You may be right. I never checked the numbers, only the dyno sheets. Also the info in the SFR turbo kit I could have the 5 or the 8 pound increase. Being greedy I went for the 8. No other mods have been done to the engine. Dyno's crazy? I don't know. I do know this is a totally different car from before. I really appreciate your questions and interest!
Joe

Well it sounds like a sweet ride, just couldn't wrap my head around those numbers.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Nope...

I don't believe the SFR stage I kit is even rated that high ... Stage II is only rated @115 and that is with an air to air intercooler that stage I doesn't have...:shrug:

From Turbo-kits web site "This delivers anywhere from 85-90 WHP. A big improvement from the 50 horsepower a bone stock."

Which is more like what I would expect. Thanks for jumping in, you're the king of boost!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate your input. I have the dyno sheets. I really don't care about the numbers but I do like the performance inprovement. The numbers seemed high to me. I had no idea what to expect. I know the programmer I talked to at SFR said they had a program that would boost the hp to over 170. This was a couple of years ago. Surprised my self by not going for it! I do not want to get in a pissing fight over numbers. You are probably right, I have no idea. I just need to move on from the car, even as much fun as it has been.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh and by the way, I have an air to air intercooler and bought an increased volume air to air inter cooler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts