Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ED Beta Testers - anyone have experience or opinions related to this $649 plug and play product? 5.3 hour FULL CHARGE at 240V?

A DUAL option that allows for charging at both 120V and 240V. SPECIFICATIONS - 16A @ 240V & 12A @ 120V Circuit breaker - 20A @ 240/208VAC UL

TurboCord - Portable Plug-in EV Charger (120 or 240 Volt Plug for Charging Electric Cars) by AeroVironment

TurboCord ? AeroVironment, Inc. Online Store

TurboCord Demo v.2.: World's Smallest UL-listed Dual-Voltage Plug-In Electric Vehicle Charger - YouTube

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I was considering that and even went so far as to call a vendor to place an order?

The vendor talked me into this option.

SPECIAL! New high-power upgraded Panasonic EVSE [NN2R3H] - $649.00 : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions

It is also a dual voltage, but it can be adapted for any 240v outlet?

So, I carry the charger and 4 different 240v adaptors and a 110v and have never NOT been able to plug in someplace?

I like the sleek look and compactness of the Turbocord, but I really like the plug anywhere ability of the EVSE upgrade?

Pricing is about the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought the dual-voltage TurboCord (you can order it online at HomeDepot.com which is nice because you can then return it to any Home Depot store within three months if you don't like it). AeroVironment TurboCord Level (1 and 2) 16 Amp Dual Plug-In EV Charger - Charging Station-23076-020 at The Home Depot

It's working great for me though, it charges exactly as fast as the Level 2 40-amp charger I tried previously... since the car itself maxes out at 3.3kw rate. It is super compact, way smaller than the Level 2 charger I had, and even smaller than the OEM charger. I was actually able to fit it and the OEM charger in the boot trunk at the same time!

Even better, I just sold the OEM level one charger that came with the car, got $325 on eBay for it. Since the dual-voltage TurboCord completely obsoletes it, it's like getting it for half price.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I haven't used it with 120v but I'd wager it is identical. The OEM charger will pull 1440 watts if I recall which is just slightly less than the 15amp breaker limit on most circuits (110v at 15 amps is 1650 watts). The TurboCord wouldn't be able to pull more watts either, without tripping a breaker.

I do almost all my charging with 240v at work but I still need 120v for the occasional emergency.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was looking at it over the weekend and noticed that it's limited to 3.3kw.

Most new cars will come with a 6.6kw on board charger so you will probably need to upgrade/replace the Turbocord if you change cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!

New member here, accepting delivery of a ForTwo Electric Drive this Tuesday... I'm actually from Canada so hoping you don't think of my as a fraud... :)

To everyone that bought the cord:

- How do you like it?
- Are the claims correct? Does it charge the Smart in 5.5hrs?
- Have you tried this adapter from EVSE Upgrade on the TurboCord?
6-20 to L6-30 Adapter - Allows TurboCord EVSE to use adapters [AT20L30] - $19.95 : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions

Thanks!

Martin
Trading up to a Tesla | Can I trade my way to a Tesla Roadster? We'll see! ? track my progress here?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Greetings Martin

I have the EVSE upgrade kit w/ALL the available "dog-bone" adapters.
I can plug into any 110v outlet if needed, but when there is ANY 240v outlet, I can change the adapter and plug in there.

The first time I used my electric drive for a weekend trip, the place I was staying had a 240v AC right by the door. BUT, none of the EVSE adapters I had would fit the socket?

Took pics of the socket and plug and made a 20 min run to Home Depot. Problem solved.
(The electric guy at HD even helped me with proper wiring from the new plug to the EVSE twist lock? The only thing he asked was a ride around the block?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the kind reply!

I was looking at the EVSE upgrade charger but my provincial government offers 50% rebate off the Turbocord. So that's why I'll stick with that one. But it's cool that EVSE has created the plug I mentioned that will make all of their adapters work with the Turbocord... plus it's only 20$. :)

What are all the adapters in your arsenal? I'm looking at buying a bunch of adapters to get me prepared. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts