Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My wife has a 2008 Smart Car Fortwo that is experiencing an odd turn signal issue.

I did search for answers and troubleshooting but wasn't able to find anything with this same issue or the appropriate parts. Hope you all can help me.

The rear passenger turn signal does not flash. It will light up, but won't indicate when turning. The front passenger / side indicator work properly.
The drivers side all work/indicate properly.

However, with the headlights on and I signal the passenger side, BOTH rear lights flash (as if the hazards are on, but ONLY the rear does this).

So the bulb is good, as are all the rest (otherwise it would flash rapidly/not light up at all). I've tried new bulbs just for kicks. Nothing. I've checked the wiring from the tail light to the front (no kinks, breaks, etc.) Grounds are clean.

There are no modifications to this car. No wiring has been hacked into. I have had to replace the tail light bulbs at least twice on each side in the past 3 years (which is excessive).

I'm not super savvy, but this all leads me to believe its a Flasher Relay. Please let me know if I'm going in the right direction, where I could find a replacement or how I could mend this issue as she is unable to signal on that side!

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
IIRc, the flasher is the SAM. That said, I had a somewhat similar issue and it turned out that the bulbs I was given as replacements were the wrong ones and when the correct bulbs were used, all was well.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Some generic parts store bulbs do not work correctly in European vehicles, including smart. Some have oversize contacts that can bridge the two bulb contacts in the bulb socket. The bulbs are directional and can only be correctly installed one way. The rear signaling system is completely separate from the front. The rear brake and turn signals are operated directly by the SAM with a internal relay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts