Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 453 Cabrio Manual 5 Speed
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 453 model that I use to pull a Very Small utility trailer from time to time. The trailer has normal light bulbs, NO LEDs etc and the trailer lights and turn signals work great when hooked up to other vehicles. I have a
CURT 56130 Non-Powered 3-to-2-Wire Splice-in Trailer Tail Light Converter, 4-Pin Wiring Harness that is needed so that I can have trailer lights, brake and turn signals. Problem is that when I turn either the left or right turn signals on, the car and trailer turn signals will flash one time and quit flashing. If I unplug the trailer to car harness plug, shut the car off and turn it back on, the car turn signals work fine. They just don't work when the trailer is hooked up. Back in the day with older vehicles, we would install a HEAVY DUTY turn signal flasher and everything worked fine. I'm not familiar with the SMART turn signal electronics. I don't have a shop manual. Question is how to fix this, is the flasher/relay etc something that can be replaced, upgraded or is it built into the computer and can't be tampered with. Also does anyone know the location of the turn signal flasher. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’d run your car by any shop, the installs trailer hitches. Even U haul. Since the smart car isn’t meant to pull trailer, who knows the problem. I wouldn’t mess with any of the electronic of modern cars.

Good luck, your best bet is a trailer shop, for advice.

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
Few people on this forum have tow hitches on their cars, even fewer of those have 453s. My 451 has a tow hitch and an unpowered trailer lighting harness that works just fine. It may just be that you may need one of those powered trailer lighting harnesses that also connects to the battery.

Hopefully someone with a hitch on their 453 can chime in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.