Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not believe my windshield cracked today when I turned on my defroster with a fully warmed up car. (2015 Smart). It started to snow and ice started to form to the windshield. Like I said the engine was fully warmed up when I turned the defroster on so the air was hot. I have not had this happen on any vehicle before in my whole life of various cars but I suppose I should have been more cautious being 21 outside
I did look up some prices and it was not too bad around 250 dollars but was I upset. (after that you go into the 'stuff happens' frame of mind a lot of worst things can happen like an accident or personal health and a lot more)

Phil

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, you still have smart warranty left? I’d explain to a dealer service if that was so. If you’re lucky they may replace it. While in my past my local MB dealer tended to be stingy on warranty repairs, my smart dealer (where I bought it) service 50 miles away was very caring towards my concerns....

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
On our 2011, the defroster position basically runs the A/C on the windshield (and the side windows) - I don't think it's ever been what could be called "hot." Maybe something changed for 2015? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Might have been a small chip with a small crack, and it just expanded once there was a temperature difference or vibrational movement of the car, hitting a pot hole, etc.

Did you not have windscreen cover with your car insurance, where you pay a nominal amount for replacement, rather than the lot?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
On our 2011, the defroster position basically runs the A/C on the windshield (and the side windows) - I don't think it's ever been what could be called "hot." Maybe something changed for 2015? :)
Older, much older maybe is more accurate, Mercedes would BLAST HOT AIR when activating defrost. Not sure about the newer ones/smart....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
I just checked it - 27 F outside temp, ran the defrost with the blower at full blast and I'd say the air hitting the windshield was warm but certainly not hot. :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked it - 27 F outside temp, ran the defrost with the blower at full blast and I'd say the air hitting the windshield was warm but certainly not hot. :unsure:
Thanks for the information on the air temperature hitting the windshield. There may be an explanation for this:

The climate control (and I don't know this but a theory) failed to mix the appropriate temperature (if it is used for this and may make sense). My re-circulation actuator has failed before I bought the car (and did notice when I test drove it from private sale) and was like this with the 2015 with only 6000 miles. Apparently an old lady who passed owned the car and hardly drove it and never used it and it sat. (the duct mix controls were also stiff but smoothed out) The vent door may have jammed The actuator is trying to open or close it. I hear a "burp, burp, burp" burp" when pushing the switch that the vent-door is not working but switch is. It will do that several times and stop with the LED on the fresh air switch on

This fresh air actuator/or re-circulation switch may mix the air cooler for the windshield. Without it working the air was fully hot hitting the windshield. When I get a chance I intend to fix this but have no garage now and its cold (I am not a cold tolerant person for more than a few minutes). After I replace the windshield this week at a glass company I will use caution on this hot air in the future obviously. (and this would be certainly a reason the dealer would not fix it) I will check my insurance for a claim though I had a claim in September with a fender bender (first one I ever had) so I am inclined to just pay for the new glass. If you look under the dash one can see the re-circulation mechanism though the top-dash may have to be removed.

The good news is that there are (according to web price search) aftermarket windshields very reasonable in charges to replace. Looking at about 225 to 250 that is not too bad. One thread I read is when the car first came to the US aftermarket windshields were not available and were about 800 dollars from the dealer.

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Made an appointment Thurs morning with a nationally known glass replacement company seen in commercials. Before I paid via the Internet using PayPal no interest for 6 months, I noticed a 'coupon code' link. Did a search for a coupon code and found one for 30 dollars. Entered and it worked so it will cost me 229 plus tax (was 259)

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts