Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to figure out how to get the A pillar trim off to install tweeters, it occurred to me that I didn't need to. I mounted them fairly low, but the wire fed very easily behind the panel.

I used a cardboard template to get the holes in the same place. I pressed a grommet onto the cardboard to make it easier to mark the surface through it. After that, it was very easy to feed the wire through. If you planned to mount them higher, you would probably need a fish tape.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used screws to hold them. The reason I didn't put them in the doors is that I amplify my highs mids and lows seperately. My HU is a Pioneer DEH80-PRS. It has an internal crossover network, and outputs HML, not FRS. I can change all of the crossover points and slopes on the HU.

The factory wiring is set up for the tweeters and the mids to be wired to the same channel. I would have had to run new wires into the doors anyway.

My 4-channel amp is in the giant space above the passenger's feet, and my mids are fed through the factory door wires. I don't use the internal amp in my HU (disabled), so I just ran the outputs from the 4 channel amp back to the wiring harness, and connected them where you would normally connect the front channel outputs from the HU.

Highs and mids are getting 75w RMS per speaker on a 300x4 amp at 4 ohm, and my 2 dual voice coil 12" P2D2 Fosgate subs are getting 300w RMS (combined) on a 500x1 amp running at 2 ohm.

The doors have Fosgate PPS4-6 6.5" mids, and the tweeters are Alpine SPS-1005's. At a later date, I plan to add 2 PPS4-8 8" mids to a ported wedge on the top of the sub box. I'd drive them with a 300x2 amp running 4 ohm for 100w RMS.

It all sounds expensive, but I had almost everything from my 2010 Corolla. I had to return it to stock to trade it in on my cabrio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts