Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, there's not to see yet. It looks like the old building has been stripped out, but no work on reconstruction has begun. The pictures are later large, so here are the links, instead:

http://feline.interactivetheatre.org/smart/PB030001.JPG
http://feline.interactivetheatre.org/smart/PB030002.JPG

I found the development plans with the city where it'll be located (Bloomington), and can add these tidbits, too:

* It'll be called smart center Bloomington.

* It's behind the Saturn Dealership on American Blvd West; the building used to be a Kia showfloor.

* The have proposed a 28-foot tall stacked car structure.

* There will be three service bays, and a wash bay (this will be an addition to the original structure)

The information I found is here: http://www.ci.bloomington.mn.us/pccases/06390a07.pdf

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the info! I was thinking it would be closer to Feldman, but this makes sense.

It's close to the Mini/BMW dealer. They have a Starbuck's coffee machine.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's roughly five miles, and straight down American Blvd.

Apparently they've agreed to not offload any of the smarts at the dealership; they'll be taken off the truck at (presumably) their Mercedes/Nissan facility and then taken over one-at-a-time to the new showfloor.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back today (it was handy I had to go down 494), and I have to disagree. They're being waaay to careful for demo work. It does, however, look like they're going to leave the structure intact and rework all the non-structural parts.

On the left side of this picture, they've started peeling off the facade, leaving insulation visible.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the person I know at Feldmann, The Plan is to have it open on January 1st.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't wait to get one

According to the person I know at Feldmann, The Plan is to have it open on January 1st.
I live in North Dakota, and I am wondering if the nearest dealer to me will be MPLS or maybe Fargo.
Does anyone have any info in a dealer in North Dakota or any other cities in Minnesota besides MPLS?

Thanks

Rocketman

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Winnipeg? OK, a little tongue-in-cheek, but given their distance from the US, they might have a more streamlined way to get their car into the US.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New photos

I was able to swing by for 30 seconds and snap some more photos. Hopefully I'll have time to put them up before going to my mother-in-laws (in Mason City, Iowa, with no computer or internet access).

But there is quite a bit of activity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good intel!

Funny, that last photo was taken while we were actually IN the new facility finalizing some telecom and wiring plans w/our contractors (Our E-Class under the tree...)!
Go-time is set for week 1 of Jan. ;)

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Hey, a dealer on the forum! What a concept; where's that supporting dealer section? :)

Thanks for joining and hopefully you won't be the only dealer to find this forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Funny, that last photo was taken while we were actually IN the new facility finalizing some telecom and wiring plans w/our contractors (Our E-Class under the tree...)!
Go-time is set for week 1 of Jan. ;)
Welcome to the site. You may have seen me over the summer. I'm the crazy guy on the black supermoto that usually goes past Feldman on one wheel heading east. LOL

Great to have a dealer onboard. I just checked out your profile. My wife drives an '07 Mini Cooper S. She loves it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Mr V!

Yup, I've seen ya! I'd be more concerned if Bloomington's finest have seen you... :D
SuperMT: Actually just watched Jeff Ward lose on Speed last night - forget what track. Saw McGrath & ex Superbike jocks Schwantz, Chandler, Scotty Russell playing SuperMoto at Road America a few yrs ago at the AMA Pro Nats. Pretty intense suff! Think I'll stick to pavement...;)

Stop-by the new store in Jan. & say hi. We'll be open week 1, not sure what inventory will look like, but our team will be there! :cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yup, I've seen ya! I'd be more concerned if Bloomington's finest have seen you... :D

Stop-by the new store in Jan. & say hi. We'll be open week 1, not sure what inventory will look like, but our team will be there! :cool:
I'm not too worried about the BPD, most of my wheelies are "accidental". I'm with ya in regard to sticking with pavement. I'm not taking my supermoto offroad with sticky Avon street tires mounted. That would just be foolish.

I'll stop by for sure. It will, of course, be after I stop at Motorwerks for a cup of coffee. They have a Startbucks dispenser. After charging me $21/each for oil filters for my wife's '07 Mini Cooper S, I stop for coffee EVERY time I'm in the neighborhood. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
10-4 on the $20 MCS oil filters. :( The Parts Mgr. over there is an old pal, and I dont' do much better than than that.

We're working on the coffee-thing for the Smartie store as-well... ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't suppose you could share some pictures of the inside (or give me permission to take them)? I've tried to respect the "no trespassing" signs when driving by.

·
Registered
203 Posts
10-4 on the $20 MCS oil filters. :( The Parts Mgr. over there is an old pal, and I dont' do much better than than that.

We're working on the coffee-thing for the Smartie store as-well... ;)
Me: gray Subaru Forester, You: silver MB crossover
American Blvd. heading west crossing France. Tell me that wasn't you. LOL

I was loafing it cuz I didn't wanna spill my Motorwerks coffee.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Propes - not much to see on the inside at this point. I think they were hanging windows today... :confused:

Mr. V - Not me man, I've been in the Jeep the past couple of days. Getting it all dialed-in for my Wife to drive after snow hits & the MINI gets put away.

Intel: Interviews for our new sales team began today. Our ads are out on the Strib on-line and Craigs List. Interesting group so far! :cool:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts