Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I,m Remco , live in the Netherlands and like strange toys.
Have build a few things so far, and the next project is a Smart.
The busa smarts are already build a ton of times, so i go a bit more extreme.
Have picked up 1 Smart ( thats one of the main things if you want to convert a Smart)
Two Honda CBR 1000F engines, one to put in the back and one in the front to make it a 4WD smart.
Those honda engines only make 130 HP, So I got myself two 30 mm turbo´s, Small but will spool up quikly and should be able to make 14 to 17 PSI of boost. giving 240 plus HP per engine
Fuel will be E 85 becouse of the 110 octane rating.
Got a complete driveline of a Audi V8, will use the LSD driveshafts and maby hubs and brakes.

Still just collecting parts, and doing some small things like making exhoust colectors for the turbo´s , so no exiting pics and youtube clips to show.

This will not be a road legal project, just a tire schreader machine.
Think that I will gear it for a topspeed of 125 mph only, its not about the speed but want wheelspin in at least the first four gears and should be able to shread a set of tires in under 5 minutes.
A link to the FB page with the other toy´s
https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-spinning-wheels/106463642872182?fref=ts

And a pic of the smart

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
disasabled the rear axle from the audi today, The tosren diff goe+s to the front, in the rear I keep it simple and use a solid axel.
Ir looks like the I can use the hubs and brakes of the rear axle from the audi on the smart.
Must make a housing for the torsen diff but that is not rocket science.
Make a aair tight enclosure for the carbs , becouse of the turbo´s
Get 40 percent larger jeting fo the carbs for the E 85.
Still need a couple of intercoulers.
Want to have all those things done before the real build start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will shoot some pics, but it is just the drive train from a 1999 audi V8.
bought it for the torsen diff, but with a bit of luck i can use more parts of it.
This build will be on a super tight budget, all the parts that I have so far,
1 smart with broken engine 500 euro, 2 Honda cbr 1000f engines 300 euro , 2 turbo´s FREE and the audi driveline 200, Total 1000. Euro.
Hope to keep the total below 2500.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front motor will be shifted to the pasenger side and tilted backward about 35 degrees.
Am also thinking about tilting it 90 degrees but that will require some engine work to keep it running in that position

Will take up some of the foot space on the pasengerside,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diff is ready now , Torsen LSD for chain drive.
And well within budget, Just 8 euro for materials ( I´m Dutch so it must be cheap )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I.m using onlye a few parts of the Audi drive line.
I bought it just for the torsen diff and the drive shafts that fits in the Torsen.
With a bit of luck i can use the Rear hubs and brakes also.
The rest is scrap, It´s just a pile of rusty parts at this moment.
Will take and post pics of the parts that i´m using

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope that I can post the first pics End of next month, Next week we have the last show and than we get the time to realy start building.
Had hoped that we had disasambled the Smart by now, but to many other things.

Remco

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still have to start the real build but already orderd a set of this from china, the engines redline at 1050 so this will do, next week get the rear engine in place.
Still thinking what sprocket combination to use, Think that a top speed of 125 mph is enough, it does not have to be fast , just want wheelspin on all four in the first 6 gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Progress is slow , way to slow.
Other projects came in between, and finding parts cheap or for free takes some time.
Took the driveshafts from the Audi apart, used the botom half of the CV joint from the audi and the top part from the smart, I want to use the original hubs and wheels from the Smart, if it breaks I can alway´s replace for something a bit stronger.
Just keep it cheap and simple.
Got a nice set of bearingblocks and some shaft material to suport the diffs and the extention of the sproket carier on the bike engine. 50 mm bearings and shaft should be strong enough, the whole set for just 125 euro, thats around 160 usd, normaly just one of these bearingblocks are just over 125 euro each.
So had a bit of luck with that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few more pics, still not building on the Smart just prepping parts.
All is done folowing the KISS principle, if it breaks I can always try something else.

Rear is sollid drive, but used the diff from the audi so I can use the CV joints an shafts from it, just made it a no slip diff with the welder.

Cut the driveshafts in two, small centerhole in the midle so it will alighn up when welding, just have to cut a 45 degree angle on it for welding, also there will be a sleve over it with two more welds, When not straight after welding , I do have a 30 ton press to make it straight again.
Hardening , just trow it in a bucket with oil after welding,

VC joints from the Audi, cut in half, same with the CV joint from the Smart, and welded together. its not perfect straight, have about 0,07 mm runout, good enough.

Torson diff from the audi, for the front engine, made sleves for the 50 mm Bearings.
I do not have the front hubs from the Audi, just see what I can get for free, and do the same with the CV joints as for the rear.

Still thinking what to do for a reverse, simpelst way is to have a pasenger, and let her push back, but a electrick reverse would be nicer,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got myself a new/old lathe.
Maby not a thing to ask here , but need a manual or at least a guide how all those levers work, is a old meuser

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did google, but no results.
Well results enough but that is for paid manuals, and as be a real and true Dutch, I hate to pay, just want everything for free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts