Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
cool build , verry interested in a few more step by step pictures of the audi to smart axle combination and the way you welded them
have you ever seen friction welding ? you might be able to use the lathe for that its perfect for axles i think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aEuAK8bsQg
kinda wondering if resizing and resplining a stock audi axle to fit the smart part on the wheel side would be stronger

i like the diff you made for the front , wat type of audi diff did you used for it , a quatro ?

thinking on doing a toyota automatic (can be any front wheel drive and the conversion is eazier on the interior of the car) or mr2 5 speed conversion myself , prolly stays at thinking about it for a while longer though as i'm strapped for cash and those cars are realy costing a bit in the netherlands , i think they use the manual transmissions of the mr2 a for rallycross a lot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That friction welding looks nice, think it needs a lot of pressure, way more than that I can get on the lathe.
resplining was no option the ends with the splines are thicker than the rest of the axle , and i do not have the tools to make the splines, would have dont that on the CV joints if I had the tools.
Diff is from a 200 V8 quarto

21 - 25 of 25 Posts