Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Performance models attract a slew of enticing headlines, and give added credibility and attention to the entire model range.

Every econohatch brand seems to understand the trickle-down benefit of a media-worthy jewel in the lineup... every brand, that is, except one 'smart' brand.

Read about the new Twingo GT, and try not to think of a similarly-spec'd smart BRABUS in North America:

Renault spices up the Twingo with punchy GT

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It may be similarly spec'd to the Brabus .....BUT I think the Twingo is a more handsome looking car and it's a four door.
At least the face doesn't look like an ancient Nash or a late model Buick.
(Just my opinion)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course. Just not available to us in the USA and Canada. :shrug:

Correct, jwight. Pasting BRABUS tattoos on body parts won't make headlines for more than a day.

Without added horsepower, every media article in North America will certainly be prefaced with a loud lament for the main BRABUS perk that we won't be getting.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well wonders never cease and let's hope surprises keep coming. Canada, as an example, is not supposed to get a Proxy either. Our choices are Pure, Passion and Prime and yet yesterday I played with one at my dealer that had Proxy all over it. List price was just north of $26,000.
So maybe those little elves in Heimbach can slip a few "B' cars on a nearby ship? 0:)
The extra power of 109hp would be sweet. :)

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I think the Twingo, is a lot better looking then the forfour. Neither vehicle we will ever see here. 109 hp is just a dream here.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
A tuning box for the 453 will get you to 109 HP maybe more, no dreaming needed.
For me, a sleeper would be more fun than a decked out Brabus. Get the sport suspension, accessorize with aftermarket wheels and tires and add the tuning, shifting upgrades. No ID or other visual evidence. Then have some fun!

·
Super Moderator
28,970 Posts
Two issues with the "build your own" approach - it won't be an actual BRABUS, and the engine won't be covered under warranty. :)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Two issues with the "build your own" approach - it won't be an actual BRABUS, and the engine won't be covered under warranty. :)
I'll take my 2011 Pure with BRABUS suspension and 215 summer tires over the pseudo 451 BRABUS that came to Canada and the US any day of the week.

As far as warranty, the box comes off if it needs to go to the dealer.

If you need to have the car touched by BRABUS, the tailor made product is of better quality than what showed up with the BRABUS badge in the 451 anyways.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 453 BRABUS has subtle but important non-horsepower modifications to steering, ESP, suspension, etc. that would be virtually impossible to add on later.

I'm hoping that smartUSA leaves at least one of the BRABUS performance testicles intact. I'd choose handling over extra horsepower, if it were an "either-or" choice; hopefully it won't be "neither."

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The 453 BRABUS has subtle but important non-horsepower modifications to steering, ESP, suspension, etc. that would be virtually impossible to add on later.

I'm hoping that smartUSA leaves at least one of the BRABUS performance testicles intact. I'd choose handling over extra horsepower, if it were an "either-or" choice; hopefully it won't be "neither."
The 451 BRABUS was the same way. Differences in shift programming, suspension, etc, that I prefer over the standard 451s...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts