Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I start the car, I sometimes hear one beep and at other times two beeps in a 2018 EQ (453).

I have a feeling it's due to something on the passenger seat, and p 179 of the owner's manual states: "...warning lamp lights up for 6 seconds after starting the engine. Warning tone sounds"

If there's something lightweight like a briefcase on the seat, does the car think there's a passenger and sound a warning tone?

I had put stuff with different weights on the passenger seat, but don't know what the weight threshold is.

I can try to fasten the passenger belt to see what happens, or have a passenger sit there. There's no text on the display warning about a malfunction and the green "ready" light is on and car operates properly.

Maybe I ought to stare at the "PASSENGER AIR BAG indicator lamp" to determine if the car thinks there's a passenger? (p. 42 in owner's manual)

Basically, unlike other cars with a back seat, I tend to put stuff on the front seat more, which may fool the warning device. I bet this issue can affect other makes of cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It doesn't seem related to whether there's anything on the passenger seat. Maybe it has to do with how long it's been sitting with power-off (as opposed to restarting after a quick stop in a trip) Will report if I find anything on my own.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts