Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody. I sent two oil samples in for analysis for Blackstone to see what's going on. One test I did was the tranny oil that I took out at 15k and the other test is the Mobil 1 0w-40 the Mercedes dealer put in for me with an OEM filter that was changed out at 5k miles.

Mobil 1 0W-40 Results

Castrol BOT 328 Results

Attachments

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
"Averages for this engine are based on just 2,400 miles on the oil,"

Seems like most Smart enthusiasts are sending in early, and not holding out for the 10k. We probably need more of us to send in at 10k. I requested a bottle yesterday, and plan to have mine tested soon - I'm going on 7500 miles and 13 months, mostly city stop and go driving. That should equate to 10k or more highway miles.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
BTW, which test or tests did you order? Looking at the menu of possibilities is a bit daunting...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
smartcar111,

A big thank you for sharing the BOT 328 report!! I think you might be the first person to have the BOT 328 tested. Results appear to be ok. Are we good to go on the long interval, that is, doesn't need to be changed?

It would be interesting to see a used Mobil/Purple/Amsoil swap analysis if anyone has a high mileage smart and has done a second change. That may be a few years from now though.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're welcome! I know somebody did do a Blackstone of the BOT 328 on a thread I found awhile ago.

I put Red Line MT90 in my transmission and when I change it at 30k, I will also have that tested. Typically, from everybody I have talked to, lifetime fluids are really 100k fluids and IMHO, that's really pushing it. I would be interested to know what Unicycle's fluid looks like from Blackstone.

It was worth changing. I'm creating a thread about Red Line and I will explain why I changed out my tranny fluid. It does make a difference.

Thank you again for the compliments! :D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
smartcar111,

Yes, I remember the good forum member who even had a few discussions with Getrag, Castrol, and smart directly to inquire about BOT 328, but I must have missed reading the analysis.

I am an advocate of Redline products and just put it in smarties new little brother (08' Toyota FJ Crawler 18K miles purchased 5/7/11). :D

I was always looking for supporting material to consider a change out with smartie, so thank you. No need to spend more money. You've done enough. :)

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
You're welcome! I know somebody did do a Blackstone of the BOT 328 on a thread I found awhile ago.

I put Red Line MT90 in my transmission and when I change it at 30k, I will also have that tested. Typically, from everybody I have talked to, lifetime fluids are really 100k fluids and IMHO, that's really pushing it. I would be interested to know what Unicycle's fluid looks like from Blackstone.

It was worth changing. I'm creating a thread about Red Line and I will explain why I changed out my tranny fluid. It does make a difference.

Thank you again for the compliments! :D
And Just When can we expect to see analysis of this Red Line slippery lube? I'll be waiting with baited breath. I've just had my BOT 328 changed out based on the comments made by Barney about the bronzey gold color of his transmission oil.
Again, I'm looking forward to it.
Rich

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi BB Benz:

Would anyone out there have an opportunity to send a small sample to a reputable second fluid engineering company? For credibility, the more Castrol BOT 328 samples with analysis will only benefit owners.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BB, give me three years. That's how long it took me to get to 15k. :D

What did you change your fluid with?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Well, I'm assuming...

BB, give me three years. That's how long it took me to get to 15k. :D

What did you change your fluid with?
Hoping they used BOT 328. I guess I could call the Chevrolet Dealer to talk to the Mechanic who is bound to still be there at the connected Dealer to what was Smart Center Nashville.
I don't guess there is anything that requires that they use BOT 328. I hope it was NOT Mobil 1 gear oil as I understand it is not compatible per what I've read here. Now, you're making me question what I've done. A phone call on Monday is in order. I will call.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Someone mentioned that our tranny is not a Hypoid design, is that right?
Redline MT 90 mentions that it is not for hypoid gear applications.
Like I said before, I am interested in seeing your thread on Redline MT 90. So spill it already! :D

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone mentioned that our tranny is not a Hypoid design, is that right?
Redline MT 90 mentions that it is not for hypoid gear applications.
Like I said before, I am interested in seeing your thread on Redline MT 90. So spill it already! :D
Barney O has informed me that our transmission does not have hypoid gears in them. I will create the thread later on today. :D

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Brett, I find the comment made by the Blackstone analyst on your tranny oil interesting. He finds the aluminum content high but says it will probably be OK after washout...
This should be a wake up call for those that want to keep the oil in your gearbox for its lifetime.
Parts are hard enough to get for these cars and down time sucks.:(

Barney... oil still cheaper than parts..:)

Add: should note that your iron & copper numbers were higher than average results...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts