Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best cleaner/protectant for the roof of a 2014 Pure? What is the handle like device that the Driver's side seat belt is anchored to? (It looks like it may have another purpose other than just an anchor). PS: Having a great time with the new to me "wheels".

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Not sure the solid roof requires any special products to clean it....

The handles on the inside of the seats are to adjust the seat back angle. Not connected to the seat belts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jwight...I cleaned up the black plastic beside and on top of rear hatch window with great results and it looks like new now. I've read that the roof doesn't like windshield washer fluid (diluted methanol) so I wanted to be cautious with cleaning products. The roof appears to have dulled probably due too UV rays.
The handle/bar I'm referring to is on the outer part of the seat closest to the door. There is a M-B label on the shaft...

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Are you located outside North America? If so, that handle on the third generation fortwo is to adjust the seat height. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The Pure solid roof is a type of vinyl that doesn't last forever. Mine did start to blister and bubble after about 8 years, being parked outside all the time may have been a contributing factor, and it did appear to start where the windshield washers would spray going down the road. I ended up scraping off as much as I could and applying a wrap. it turned out great.

Not aware of any handles on the door side of the seats, maybe a release for the seat belts after an accident or ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again jwight...North America...Alberta, Canada. I've tried to move the handle but it seems fairly rigid. I'll try moving it again and see what happens...

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
OK, now I'm stumped. Like Jim, I don't know of any handle on that side of the 451 seats. A picture is worth a thousand words.... :)

This is on a 2011 passion and the closest I could find that might look like a handle. It appears to be a fixed cover over some sort of seat belt hardware.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There is no cover on the handle...could be MIA. I've tried to post a pic unsuccessfully so far. Any pointers?
This is the error message I'm getting - "The text that you have entered is too long (103763 characters). Please shorten it to 50000 characters long."

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
..if I have to take a guess I'll say is some kind of slow down the travel of the lap belt in case of a collision...
...the cable swaging can't travel back due to the stop and its attached to a shock absorber...

Jetfuel....next..

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
It is a seat belt pretensioner that "fires" to keep tension on the seat belt in case of a collision and the air bags fire. A pretensioner fires during an impact just prior to the air bag firing. It holds the occupant in place and then releases tension to allow the occupant to contact the inflation of air bag for a more softer impact with the steering wheel air bag. Occupants contacting the steering wheel too hard was a point of contention with the Fortwo during a collision. The cover came off my pretensioner and seems to be missing a little plastic tab that holds it in place, so I have yet to get it put back in place to stay.DCO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DreamCarOwner...Thank you for your assistance in identifying the item...I will be able to sleep tonight! Now, I'll have to go to the M-B Dealership and see what they can do for me!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that this mystery has been solved any suggestions on a good cleaner for the Pure roof? I've wiped it down with a damp cloth that ended up with a greyish deposit. The roof seems to be a hard textured plastic similar to carbon fiber in appearance. It does look a bit discolored at the front possibly from windshield washer fluid (methanol). Any experienced suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Stopped by the local M-B dealership to inquire about the cover. The Partsperson could not find the cover in the system and checked one of their "in stock" cars. There was no cover on their unit as well...

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Give us your VIN and one of us will look up the part number for you on the EPC. If that Mercedes dealer was never a Smart dealer, then it wouldn't be in his database.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts