Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a business trip for two weeks. Question:

Do I leave her plugged in or unplugged, (house power 110 vis-a-vis supplied charging cable)?

She's fully charged but I'm just double checking what the short term storage protocol would be for our Smart EDs.

If any admins or Smart service pros would also chime in that would be great. Yes, I meant to call dealer today but with prepping for my trip (it got away from me.)

Thanks in advance for help on this one. Just want to make sure I'm dong the right thing by my battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would leave her unplugged since there is very little battery drainage. I'll be surprised if it drain 1% in two weeks. It's not a Telsa which have the highest vampire drain.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I would consider a trickle charger on the 12v aux battery?

that will be the first one to lose power, and once it's gone you have "bricked" the electric.

Bricking means that the whole car is now about as useless as a brick.

No onboard systems will start or react until the 12v has power again.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If the place you're storing it in has a reasonable climate, it should be fine. As noted, if it's super hot or super cold, to the point that the system may kick in to regulate the battery pack, it may be worth leaving plugged in.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Before you leave, bring the charge up to 100%. Then leave the car unplugged. When you return in two weeks the car should be pretty close to full charge, the way it was when you left.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If the place you're storing it in has a reasonable climate, it should be fine. As noted, if it's super hot or super cold, to the point that the system may kick in to regulate the battery pack, it may be worth leaving plugged in.
There is no indication so far that the Smart ED high voltage battery is cooled when the car is not actively being driven. You could certainly use the smart phone app to pre-condition the car a few times per day if you were paranoid, but I don't think it's necessary.

The battery operating range is -20C to 40C. I don't see it getting to 40C and staying there when unplugged and not running...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There is no indication so far that the Smart ED high voltage battery is cooled when the car is not actively being driven.
There's no indication that it warms it's pack when it's too cold either, but we know from experience that it does so. I doubt they would put in a trigger for the lower limit and not put one in for the upper limit.

The battery operating range is -20C to 40C. I don't see it getting to 40C and staying there when unplugged and not running...
Not where you live maybe, but in some places in the south it could happen. Most wouldn't expect to see sustained -20C temperatures either, but we saw weeks of that this year in the north. (This is -4F to 104F for non-metric people.)

·
Registered
527 Posts
There's no indication that it warms it's pack when it's too cold either, but we know from experience that it does so. I doubt they would put in a trigger for the lower limit and not put one in for the upper limit.
I cannot concur. On one particularly cold day this winter, after sitting in -34C for 9 hours unplugged, my battery SOC was the same as I left it when I parked in the morning (I recall at the time thinking "hey this is the same as I left it, even though its bitter cold" and wondering what a Tesla would do in the same circumstance).

When I started the car, it took a few minutes while a warming battery indicator was lit on the dash before I could move the gear selector to drive off.

This and other observations make me conclude the Smart ED does not warm the battery when parked and not plugged in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unplugged

We just returned after a 2 week vacation and upon the suggestion of our tech we left it unplugged. Hardly any change in the dash board dial reading. We charged it overnight and it has driven well all this week. Relax you mind and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I cannot concur.
I remember that post. I wonder if this may be a software version thing? :shrug: That same week I found my ED dropping 15 to 20% sitting in the lot, but it was ready to go even on the -13 days. I recall being told it did this, but that was by someone at the dealership, and we know how reliable they are when it comes to info...

·
Registered
292 Posts
For what its worth, I just got back from vacation (16 days). We left the smart unplugged and at 99% charge and the daytime temps were in the 20-25 C range. When we got back there was no visible change in the charge level on either the dashboard or the vh site.

Started fine, ran as well as I remember.

As a side note, I've changed the cabin light to an LED and at night you can see a faint glow. Probably because its running off the CANBUS test current. I didn't expect any problems, but it was good to know that that level of standby current from the 12V system still left the car operational.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For what its worth, I just got back from vacation (16 days). We left the smart unplugged and at 99% charge and the daytime temps were in the 20-25 C range. When we got back there was no visible change in the charge level on either the dashboard or the vh site.
I had a similar experience as well. The charge was 38% when we parked our ED and went on vacation. When we returned 13 days later, the charge was still at 38% and everything worked as normal. The temperature probably ranged between 60 and 80 deg. F during that time.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Same here, parked my Smart ED with 60% SOC for 10 days, average 20C temperature, no loss of charge when I came back.

Immediately drove it 64km, with plenty of kickdown and was left with 5% SOC.

Recharged overnight, and it's been running great for the past few days.

:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Going on a business trip for two weeks. Question:

Do I leave her plugged in or unplugged, (house power 110 vis-a-vis supplied charging cable)?

She's fully charged but I'm just double checking what the short term storage protocol would be for our Smart EDs.

If any admins or Smart service pros would also chime in that would be great. Yes, I meant to call dealer today but with prepping for my trip (it got away from me.)

Thanks in advance for help on this one. Just want to make sure I'm dong the right thing by my battery.
I went on an 8 day vacation and left it connected. It doesn't lose much charge over any period as it's mostly shut off (save for the 2G data connection). Where i'd be concerned is to leave it for a month or more. Then I would definitely leave it connected

1 - 20 of 20 Posts