Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to all!
We are working on a 2009 Smart Fortwo. Customer states and I quote " Vehicle just stopped, got it towed (he took it home), vehicle starts when direct current to Starter but it won't move (stuck into gears)". Got it towed at my shop and verified all of what he stated. I've tried the "reteach transmission" pattern but it still won't start. Replaced the gearshift assembly (removed battery, installed part, installed battery, redo the reteach) but it still won't start. I did notice when you remove the battery and start the car the "P" pops up for a few second but then the wrench and three bars starts to flash. I did pull up some codes before getting started (Launch X-431) P2158, P0318, B1740,B1741, B1720 and U1113. Thanks in advance. :crying:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Good morning to all!
We are working on a 2009 Smart Fortwo. Customer states and I quote " Vehicle just stopped, got it towed (he took it home), vehicle starts when direct current to Starter but it won't move (stuck into gears)". . :crying:
We are working? Customer?

This reads like you are running a commercial repair facility. If that is the case you should have a service information system that tells you the theory of operation of the systems. If you have fault codes and theory of operation you should have some idea of how to proceed. If you do not then you are not qualified to work on the car. I suggest you send it to a qualified facility that is properly equipped, otherwise you are doing a disservice to your customer.

I, for one, have no interest in offering free advice to a commercial repair facility that is getting paid to do repairs that they are not capable of performing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have the same problem with my baby. Three wrench and the three bars that flashes. Most of the post says do the re teach of the transmission (didn't work). My husband also has replaced the gearshift that he got from ebay. He went to thru the sequence of the re teach but it still didn't work. My baby has been stuck for 1 month now and has 72000 miles on her. I love taking her out for errands and with Fuel cost going up again I need my baby. I husband already got an ear full but he still doesn't want to take it to the dealer. He said it might be something simply that he just missed it. Please help!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ask your husband whether he wants the car repaired or whether he wants to throw parts at it until he runs out of money and ideas and then take it to somebody who can repair it?

(I would love to listen in on that conversation.):D

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer wants to charge us $120 to diagnose the issue. He has combed through this forum for any ideas on what it could be. The symptoms are no start, two wrench and three bars. My husband is convinced that I started the car on drive instead of Park. I don't mind paying the $120 and have my husband do the work, but his stubborn!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ella, the two wrenches are just indicators for "twice the overdue service"; a wrench being 10K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Those wrenches can be reset through a procedure found elsewhere in this forum. No need to worry about them. Your real problems are the no start and 3 bars.

·
Registered
271 Posts
vehicle starts when direct current to Starter but it won't move (stuck into gears)". :crying:
That could have done more harm and I will never understand people that do this. This car is not an 80's Ford Bronco. If your computer does not start do you jump out random things with 110v? At this point I would take it to someone who can look at it properly. Did they ever think "Maybe the computer will not engage the starter to protect itself from something else like being in gear or stuck between two gears?"

It does not read like you are the one that jumped it out but just stating my openion is all. Also not saying you’re a bad mechanic but sometimes it’s better to pass jobs onto qualified technicians and tell the client sorry but we cannot help you. :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ella, the two wrenches are just indicators for "twice the overdue service"; a wrench being 10K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Those wrenches can be reset through a procedure found elsewhere in this forum. No need to worry about them. Your real problems are the no start and 3 bars.
:xThank you

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The dealer wants to charge us $120 to diagnose the issue. He has combed through this forum for any ideas on what it could be. The symptoms are no start, two wrench and three bars. My husband is convinced that I started the car on drive instead of Park. I don't mind paying the $120 and have my husband do the work, but his stubborn!
The on-board electronics control the starter and will not let it start in drive or reverse. It will not start because the electronics see a problem. Either it can not control the clutch, it does not know what the shifter position is or it does not know or can not control the gear selected in the trans. That is why you see the three bars in the dash display for gear position. Without a scan tool to read fault codes and live data to determine what is happening and the knowledge of how to proceed, one is just wasting time. Continued blind screwing around with it can make it worse, meaning more expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The on-board electronics control the starter and will not let it start in drive or reverse. It will not start because the electronics see a problem. Either it can not control the clutch, it does not know what the shifter position is or it does not know or can not control the gear selected in the trans. That is why you see the three bars in the dash display for gear position. Without a scan tool to read fault codes and live data to determine what is happening and the knowledge of how to proceed, one is just wasting time. Continued blind screwing around with it can make it worse, meaning more expensive.
Thank you so much! You took the words out of my mouth. I think he is running blind. I got the car towed already (without his consent lol). I just want my car to run. Thanks again!:x

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have the same problem with my baby. Three wrench and the three bars that flashes. Most of the post says do the re teach of the transmission (didn't work). My husband also has replaced the gearshift that he got from ebay. He went to thru the sequence of the re teach but it still didn't work. My baby has been stuck for 1 month now and has 72000 miles on her. I love taking her out for errands and with Fuel cost going up again I need my baby. I husband already got an ear full but he still doesn't want to take it to the dealer. He said it might be something simply that he just missed it. Please help!
After a few day at the dealer, I was told it was the shifter gear assembly was the problem of the vehicle (mind you my husband replaced it already). So I authorized it to be replace (thinking that the part that we got from ebay was faulty). Hours later they called and said the need more diagnose charge that it might be transmission related. They want a additional $ 450 for teardown and diagnose. I had asked If I'm still responsible for the replacement of the gear shifter (which cost us around $750.00) I'm not sure what to do at the point. Before they began the work I told them that we replace the shifter already. So, why I'm a still responsible for their misdiagnose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts