Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, 2008 Smart fortwo, 3 original Bridgestone tyres fitted, cars done 16k miles, I've noticed, particularly on the front offside (r/h drive) that the outer blocks of the tread are cracked around the circumference of the tyre, approx. 5/8" in from the edge, the rears are also affected but not so much, has anyone any idea why this has happened, since we've owned the car, 3 years, it's been serviced at our local MB garage, service is good, they wash the car and treat the tyre walls to make it look good, could this be the problem, although the side walls look fine :shrug: Help appreciated.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
Even though the miles are fairly low, your tires are six years old. The cracking may be from age, over or under inflation, or even extreme weather. My guess would be the age of the tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How to check the AGE of tires ~ Check back here, and tell us how old they are. Bridgstone tires have a poor reputaion. Anything over 6 years old, it is not recomended to do any hi-speed driving...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!50154916573!p!!g!!tire age&[email protected]:20140618013612:s

Checked the tyres, front is week 49, 2007. rears = week 51 & 52, 2007 so 6 years 6 months, I'm a bit surprised as I had a Fiat Seicento prior to the Smart and those tyres were 10 year old with only slight cracking to the side walls but then again they weren't Bridgestone :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts