Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevrolet sold four Cobalts in the United States in August 2011. That, however, isn't much of a story. Chevrolet Cruze sales reached 21,807, far exceeding the totals put up by any other compact car competing for sales in America last month. That's a story, just as it was last month and the month before and as far back as May.

Honda Civic sales tumbled 47% in August. The Toyota Corolla (with Matrix) was down 19%. U.S. Focus sales slid 9% as Ford struggles to keep up with demand for the handsome hatch and sedan. Even sales of the Hyundai Elantra fell slightly, from 15,181 in August 2010 to 15,054 in August 2011.

Over and above the Cobalt's August 2010 performance Cruze sales jumped 287%. The also-popular Volkswagen Jetta was up 36%.

Smaller small cars don't sell in volumes so large, although the Mazda 2 was up 196%, Ford Fiesta sales improved at a 76% rate, Hyundai Accent sales jumped 38%, Nissan Versa sales were up 15%. 280 of GM's subcompact sales came from the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic. Honda Fit sales fell hard, down 38%. The Toyota Yaris was off 62%. A new Yaris is coming soon and might help.
Small Car Sales In America - August 2011 - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

:)

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The smart sucked some wind in August as compared with the other small cars (not as small as our smart), but obviously, those other cars had more marketing backup on August. Let's see what Septembers numbers look like after this TV commercial and new marketing strategy.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Some of the Sales are down because the cars are not available for sale at all dealerships . The YARIS and XD hasn't been on my local dealers lots in 2 months and the Fit also was in short supply in my area due to Japan , there was a 4-6 week wait to get 1 or 2 on the lots. Can't sell what you don't have . Once on the lot they were snapped up as fast as they arrived .

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
If J-Lo would be pushing smart instead of FIAT it would be another story. The money isn't there I suspect and besides she would slip off the smart's little hood.:burnout:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
One looks at the Fiat 500 and smart ForTwo sales combined and it's obvious that the market prefers larger vehicles... the Corolla alone sells five times more!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
One looks at the Fiat 500 and smart ForTwo sales combined and it's obvious that the market prefers larger vehicles... the Corolla alone sells five times more!
Well, from a practical standpoint, if you have a family, a bigger car simply makes more sense. Even if you are a two-car family, then there are too many times either or both of the cars need to seat more than 2 people. Folks that are single, retired, or who just have a LOT of cars it's no big deal to collect a car like the smart for fun (or a Miata or whatever). Additionally many of the 4-seaters don't get THAT much worse gas mileage, so although the smart is fun/stylish, it will never replace the likes of a Corolla, or even a Yaris or FIAT 500.:cool:

·
17,343 Posts
Hey, at least we murdered the 2012 Beetle! :D

(beats me why it's in there when they only started delivering them at the end of August).

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The smart sucked some wind in August as compared with the other small cars (not as small as our smart), but obviously, those other cars had more marketing backup on August. Let's see what Septembers numbers look like after this TV commercial and new marketing strategy.

You can't sell what you don't have. As has been stated before, MBUSA is trying to clear house on '11 model year smarts. They want them all gone before the 2012's arrive. They are expecting poor sales through the middle of October. Most dealers won't have a decent selection of 2012's until the end of October. Don't expect a big sales increase right away. I'll be curious to see the sales figures next year. That will be something to compare.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Honda Civic, isn't really a small car anymore. It's as big as our old 98 Accord. Small is getting bigger

I really don't think the new smart commercials, are going to sell cars.
I tend to agree with you smark. Nothing I have seen in their new uncar campaign would move me to buy a smartie. I am hoping that the advertisements are going to get better and illustrate the main benefits of ownership i.e. safety, economy and fun.

Besides, I don't get the whole uncar concept. An un-*anything* is generally just the opposite. For example the UnCOLA was 7 up, which is not a cola. doh! Therefore, an uncar would be a bicycle or skateboard or something that isn't a car. I don't get where you can call a smart (which is, a car) an un-car. It just doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

donsgal

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, from a practical standpoint, if you have a family, a bigger car simply makes more sense. Even if you are a two-car family, then there are too many times either or both of the cars need to seat more than 2 people. Folks that are single, retired, or who just have a LOT of cars it's no big deal to collect a car like the smart for fun (or a Miata or whatever). Additionally many of the 4-seaters don't get THAT much worse gas mileage, so although the smart is fun/stylish, it will never replace the likes of a Corolla, or even a Yaris or FIAT 500.:cool:
Excuse me Kennyrayandersen, I take exception with your terminology here. Two people are a family. It is not necessary to have proven your ability to reproduce to be considered a family. What you should have said was: "...from a practical standpoint, if you have children (i.e. anklebiters, rugrats, flesh loafs, crib lizards, screechlings, etc.,) a bigger car simply makes more sense..."

Considering that STATISTICALLY the more intelligent and educated you are, the more likely you are to be childfree, *and* considering the fact that childfree people have a significantly higher level of discretionary income, many of us opt to purchase high-end two-seaters such as the BMW Z4 M Coupe, or the Porche Boxter or even the Cadillac XLR. Therefore, your assessment of the childed preferring large cars is correct, but there remains a SIGNIFICANT and substantial market for the two-seater *if* you market the car to the right audience.

Family indeed.

20yrsinBranson

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Excuse me Kennyrayandersen, I take exception with your terminology here. Two people are a family. It is not necessary to have proven your ability to reproduce to be considered a family. What you should have said was: "...from a practical standpoint, if you have children (i.e. anklebiters, rugrats, flesh loafs, crib lizards, screechlings, etc.,) a bigger car simply makes more sense..."

Considering that STATISTICALLY the more intelligent and educated you are, the more likely you are to be childfree, *and* considering the fact that childfree people have a significantly higher level of discretionary income, many of us opt to purchase high-end two-seaters such as the BMW Z4 M Coupe, or the Porche Boxter or even the Cadillac XLR. Therefore, your assessment of the childed preferring large cars is correct, but there remains a SIGNIFICANT and substantial market for the two-seater *if* you market the car to the right audience.

Family indeed.

20yrsinBranson
yeah, my post was really an underhanded jap at childless people:rolleyes: sarcasm button off

but now that you mention it. The last people that should have kids are people that don't want them. Considering your verbiage to describe children, I'm confident you did the right thing. You do bring up an interesting point though, and that is: the people most capable both with regard to resource and ability are having less children, and people [generally] what ain't got the two sticks to rub together are having a gaggle of them.... something messed up and a little backward there (ref Bell Curve).

The smart would sill not be considered a family car in the traditional sense, and CERTAINLY there was no offence intended toward the childless family.

Not to worry I had enough kids to replace you and yours:wink:

·
Registered
208 Posts
yeah, my post was really an underhanded jap at childless people:rolleyes: sarcasm button off

but now that you mention it. The last people that should have kids are people that don't want them. Considering your verbiage to describe children, I'm confident you did the right thing. You do bring up an interesting point though, and that is: the people most capable both with regard to resource and ability are having less children, and people [generally] what ain't got the two sticks to rub together are having a gaggle of them.... something messed up and a little backward there (ref Bell Curve).

The smart would sill not be considered a family car in the traditional sense, and CERTAINLY there was no offence intended toward the childless family.

Not to worry I had enough kids to replace you and yours:wink:
We're on the same page then, KennyRay!

donsgal

1 - 20 of 278 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.