Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I see the MINI Chubman (pac-man) is sucking, that's good, as the thing is an inglorious abomination. And how about the iQ? The USA was its stronghold, relatively speaking, and now it's got to be the end of the line for that wannabe smart pretty soon.

·
17,384 Posts
If it weren't for the new Trax, the iQ would've been the worst selling car of the year!!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Chevy Trax I believe just went on sale here. The other new comers. Will be Honda HR-Z, 500X, Jeep Renegade, small Mazda CX-3. Wonder why the Mazda Miata, or Honda CR-Z, isn't on this list.

·
17,384 Posts
Chevy Trax I believe just went on sale here.
Wonder why the Mazda Miata, or Honda CR-Z, isn't on this list.
I think the Trax went on sale at the end of December.

While they are small cars, the Miata resides with the sports coupes and the CR-Z with the hybrids.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I can see now, why everyone was all over the new Honda Fit, at the KC auto show Sunday. Our smart sales manager, really didn't the next smart car going to do well. She selling MB products now. A person got to eat, selling cars, she said.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I'm looking at a new Fit right now. 6sp manual though as there is no way I'm buying a car with a CVT!! There really doesn't seem to be much competition. Yaris is much smaller and no better mpg. Ford fiesta and focus have midling reliability and the samr ciuld be said for the 500, which is also significanly smaller although I really do like the looks. Mazda 3 is considerably more as is the Golf and the Mazda 2 is also pretty puny. Soul is hideous AND Korean! Civic doesn't come in a hatchback and it's more money... Mini is only slightly more reliable than the 500 L which is at the bottom of the list!

The Suzuki Wagon R is not available stateside.

Process of elimination!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I'm looking at a new Fit right now. 6sp manual though as there is no way I'm buying a car with a CVT!! There really doesn't seem to be much competition. Yaris is much smaller and no better mpg. Ford fiesta and focus have midling reliability and the samr ciuld be said for the 500, which is also significanly smaller although I really do like the looks. Mazda 3 is considerably more as is the Golf and the Mazda 2 is also pretty puny. Soul is hideous AND Korean! Civic doesn't come in a hatchback and it's more money... Mini is only slightly more reliable than the 500 L which is at the bottom of the list!

The Suzuki Wagon R is not available stateside.

Process of elimination!
We drove a new Fit, with a CVT transmission. Very smooth. Nothing wrong with it. The Accord uses one too. What I like about the Fit. It's loaded for $21K. Leather, sunroof, navigation, push button start, lane change, etc. So much more upscale, then the last to models.

The new 500X, will be out, in a couple weeks. Looking forward in test driving one. 9 speed auto, 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I'm sure the CVT is smooth now but there is just not enoght long-term reliability data and CVTs have historically had too many issues. I wouldn't buy a Nissan because of that and I wouldn't buy an Accord with one either. Eventually they may well figure it out but I'm not going to be their guinea pig!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
My eldest daughter (26) will be buying a 2015 Honda Fit this summer. We both test drove it in 6 speed form and it was really quite good. Nice close ratio gearbox and clean handling on bumpy corners. She hates automatics so hers will be a 6M. EX version.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Scion IQ must be a real sore spot for Toyota with 64 units last month compared to Smart's 837 and that was a big jump from April numbers.

My daughter has a Soul and loves it and I see it just climbed past the VW Jetta into seventh place.

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
I think those iQ sales are dealers clearing remaining stock - the iQ is done in the US.

Murtha, Scion group vice president, explains how partnerships with other automakers, as well as sharing within the larger Toyota lineup has long been a part of the product strategy. “It’s pretty much been the case since Scion’s launch,” he said, pointing to the xA, xB and even the recently axed iQ.
:)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
My oldest daughter (26) just bought a new Fit EX. Nice car, a good short ratio 6 speed manual transmission, lots of power: about 16 flat in the quarter mile. The funny thing is, the recently revised Transport Canada fuel consumption figures for this car - in line with the EPA tests - suggests that highway fuel consumption should be 6.6 L/100 km with the manual. Checked at the pump, the average over the car's first 1300 km has been 5.6 in mixed use. Hell, even an orangutan could beat the 6.6 figure!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I'm really surprise they list the Honda HR-V, as a small car. It based off the Fits platform. It actual out sold the Fit, first month out. It a pretty good size car. A little short, then the CR-V.

221 - 240 of 278 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.