Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few allusions now wherein the U.S. transmission will have a "Park" position. Does that mean what it means to most North Americans - a transmission lock-up in the "P" position?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think it's a good assumption that it'll behave the same as "Park" on any other transmission. Anything else would expose the manufacturer to huge legal liability issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it's a good assumption that it'll behave the same as "Park" on any other transmission. Anything else would expose the manufacturer to huge legal liability issues.
You are saying that most people would be dumb enough not to put the car in reverse and use the parking brake, I guess the 4/2 is not for them, they have to think to be able to think to drive it...:eek:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
You are saying that most people would be dumb enough not to put the car in reverse and use the parking brake, I guess the 4/2 is not for them, they have to think to be able to think to drive it...:eek:
It's an automatic. Putting it in any gear when it's turned off has no effect. The car is still freewheeling. Most people that drive automatics don't use a parking brake. That's why there is a potential liability issue if MB doesn't put a Park lock on the automatic.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Isn't this type of tranny in other Mercedes? There must be a Park position as Micronut says. Relying solely on the emergency brake is a bit risky especially on hill parking.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is not an automatic as you think it is. It is a standart trans with a clutch. It however is shifted by a electric motor turning a drum/cam set up and the clutch is operated by a wormdrive acuater. These are operated by the computer. The computer will do all of this automatically or when you tell it to by moving the shifter or steering wheel paddles. The current and European smarts actually leave the transmission in reverse for parking. If you do not put the shifter in reverse before shutting off the engine, it will free wheel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, there is transmission fluid to change. I wouldn't change it once a year however. I would change it after a 1,200 miles break in period and then every 30,000 miles or so.

I'm wondering how long the clutch will last if a creep featured to used in the US version cars. 10,000 miles out of a clutch will make a lot of people very upset.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried the European smart car last week (in Italy), and I tended to park the car by putting it in neutral and applying the handbrake. I tried once to leave it in first gear and turn the car off, but I couldn't do it. That's the way I'm used to parking manual cars, but you can't turn the key when the transmission is in gear on a SmartCar. I didn't try reverse, but I'm not so sure you could turn the key with the car in reverse either.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To start the car after it was parked in reverse, turn the key to the first position and move the shift lever to neutral and turn the key to the next position and release. You do not have to hold the key in the start position. Just release and it will crank until it starts or times out after several seconds. You also must have your foot on the brake to ingage the starter and have pressed the door unlock button on the key within 5 min. to disable the immobilizer.

To start the car after left in any other gear position, press the unlock button on the key, move key to first position, press brake pedal, move shift lever to neutral, turn key to second position and release.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
To start the car after it was parked in reverse, turn the key to the first position and move the shift lever to neutral and turn the key to the next position and release. You do not have to hold the key in the start position. Just release and it will crank until it starts or times out after several seconds. You also must have your foot on the brake to ingage the starter and have pressed the door unlock button on the key within 5 min. to disable the immobilizer.

To start the car after left in any other gear position, press the unlock button on the key, move key to first position, press brake pedal, move shift lever to neutral, turn key to second position and release.
You're kidding me, right? You sure you don't have to recite some incantation at the same time?

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's really not a big deal. You always use your key or alarm button to unlock your car. If you drive a manual transmission it's recommended you put it in neutral to start and much safer. In most current automatics you need to apply the brake to go from park to drive. The smart just combines those proceedures.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts

If I had to go through all that to start a car, I'd be taking a sledge hammer to it after a few tries.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The early SAABs that I owned and drove (three-cylinder, mixed-oil, two-strokers) had a freewheeling transmission (to ensure that the engine wasn't dragged at high RPM with no fuel/oil mixture passing through). Use of the hand brake was manditory.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
It is not an automatic as you think it is. It is a standart trans with a clutch. It however is shifted by a electric motor turning a drum/cam set up and the clutch is operated by a wormdrive acuater. These are operated by the computer. The computer will do all of this automatically or when you tell it to by moving the shifter or steering wheel paddles. The current and European smarts actually leave the transmission in reverse for parking. If you do not put the shifter in reverse before shutting off the engine, it will free wheel.
Hmmmm, everything I'm reading, including the Smart order confirmation posted on another thread is specifying an automatic transmission. The transmission feels just like a 60's era 4 speed MB automatic trans. All gears were fully selectable and downshifting was very positive because there was no torque converter.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getrag, the manufacturer, describes it as an "Automatic Manual Transmission." It is a manual transmission that is electronically clutched vice foot-clutched. The shift lever and paddles are essentially electrical switches and logic circuit that operate transmission servos. The electronics can also operate it like an automatic if selected. It is NOT a torque converter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to the web site www.getrag.de, the version of the gearbox used in the new Smart car is a 5MTT170 series model. It's listed as a 5 speed manual, transverse mounted front wheel drive application gearbox with Automated Manual Transmission version available.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts