41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
U.S. "Park"

Here is Checkered Flag Motor's photo of the U.S. transmission's "Park:"

[/IMG]

Not too visible is the straight front-to-rear progression that includes P-R-N-(then what? "D"?, "+ -"?, "D" plus "+ -"?). Dunno.

Also, it looks like a much shorter shift lever than the Euro demonstrators.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Clearer Pic

Here is a clearer pic from CFM:

I assume that there is some sort of logic lock-out between N and D + -. Maybe the lever moves between P and D down the right side, then moves to the left into a + - gate.

Later explanation from CFM:

"I had to place the photos into the original post, but there are two showing the shift gate. I am not a transmission expert, but it was explained to me the US smart transmission is a true manual without a clutch pedal. The Park, Drive, Reverse features are made out like an automatic for familiarity. It will operate just like an automatic if you wish, or you have the option to slide the shifter to the left for manual mode.

I like to think of it as one of those sport-shift automatic transmissions in reverse. The sport-shift auto's are truly automatic transmissions acting like a manual in the sport mode. The smart tranny is a manual that can act like an automatic.

German manufacturers have embraced this type of transmission, so you're going to see quite a few more cars setup like this. I find it to be the ultimate shifting compromise. As someone who loves a manual transmission, I could never get into the sport-shifter automatics, but this type of transmission gets a big thumbs up from me!"

·
Registered
125 Posts
My P broke and it is in the shop after ten days of ownership. The module in the shifter went bad and Smart can't find the part for it. Now my mpgs are really going to go up now. It has been in the shop almost one week.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I have read a few allusions now wherein the U.S. transmission will have a "Park" position. Does that mean what it means to most North Americans - a transmission lock-up in the "P" position?
The one I test drove had a park. It was weird being a standard.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The one I test drove had a park. It was weird being a standard.
What I found interesting, is that in the manual it states that the P position doesnt exactly act as a brake like automatics when parking, its mandatory to set the p brake everytime. I guess the p postions just put the car in a gear, like what you would do with a manual.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The smart is designed as a city car. Driving through crowded city streets most would prefer not to have to deal with a manual clutch. When in Park the car is immobilized.

Paddle shifting is rockin' BTW.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts