Smart Car of America Forum banner

u0103

9K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Triguy2006 
thnx for reply........i assume the acuator and shift motors are bolted to transaxle..?
Shift actuator under car, easy access from below. Pair of ramps make is quite easy.
Shift motors on top of motor, below the air intake box, which has to be removed to gain access.
Air box is a pain, I had to cut mine to get it out, which was OK as I trashed it for the Madness air intake pipe instead.

Nice work, and good improve on the air intake tube.
I think maybe the clutch actuator cleaning, lubing with white lithium, and reinstall/adjust should take care of that.
Are you also using the Evilution site... excellent info there.

shouda wouda couda.... would have been real easy to have done that when the gear shift motors were out, just pour into the
cavity until the fluid came out the top fill port...!
Sorry, day late, dollar short on my part.

Here is the evolution procedure
With all 3 bolts loosened, slide the unit towards the centre of the car (to the right).
The actuator will only move about 2mm or 3mm before you feel it hit an obstruction.
Stop pushing the actuator and it will move a fraction back to the left by itself.

Now you have to push the actuator towards the clutch with 50 Newtons of force.
This is the equivelent of hanging a 5kg weight sideways off of the actuator.

Smart have a frame that holds around the actuator and that attaches to a force meter (which looks
like old school luggage scales). The gauge is pulled to 50N and then the bolts are tightened to 10Nm.

The last sentence about tightening the bolts with 50N force applied to the actuator body, well...
I used the TLAR method, and after clutch contact, I pushed it a small amount, about the thickness of
a quarter... and it worked. You may need to experiment with the amount of distance to get it to
work, but hopefully this will help.

Excellent, I love it when a plan comes together, or the smell of napalm in the.... oh, sorry! I digress.
I was just lucky to hit is right the first time, and yes, it was probably an eight'th inch, or maybe just a tad more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.