Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard an ugly rumour that when the Smart USA dealers are finally set up they will deny service/maintenance/repair to those who already own 2005, 2006 Smart Cars. I hope it's not so. These are the pioneers who supported Smart Cars early on, when it was risky, they don't deserve such treatment. Smart Car USA say it ain't so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
of course they won't!
they will not have parts in stock to sell or trained mechanics to work on the previous models.
in the late 70's and 80's a similiar thing happened with mercedes and porsche cars. they became labeled "grey market" cars....
sorry, haas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heard an ugly rumour that when the Smart USA dealers are finally set up they will deny service/maintenance/repair to those who already own 2005, 2006 Smart Cars. I hope it's not so. These are the pioneers who supported Smart Cars early on, when it was risky, they don't deserve such treatment. Smart Car USA say it ain't so.
You don't understand the man Roger Penske. He is mean and vindictive. The who idea of starting rumors over a year ago and taking reservations was designed by him to keep people from buying the 2005 and 2006 models that are out there. He knows for sure that he will not have any appreciable numbers of cars for sale when he says he will. Yet he is sitting on $2 million dollars of deposits that he is collecting interest on and 20,000 who willl ait for him instead of byuing the models available now. And the biggest fraud he ahs brought so far is the listing price. He claims he will sell the coupes for 13,000 and the cabrios for 17,000 when in fact we know that is for a cheap model called Pure and that the models imported will actuall be loaded Passions that will be much, much more.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
.... And the biggest fraud he ahs brought so far is the listing price. He claims he will sell the coupes for 13,000 and the cabrios for 17,000 when in fact we know that is for a cheap model called Pure and that the models imported will actuall be loaded Passions that will be much, much more.
well that we don't know yet! Granted, the current suggested list prices may change, but I get the feeling the SmartUSA prices will be inline with Smart prices worldwide. Hopefully the minor tweaking of the final price in the US will reflect any changes necessary for the American market, and not because of a "market adjustment". And the cars to be imported this first year - the ones that we have preregistered for - are to be ordered to OUR specifications, not Penske's! If you've registered for and order a Pure, they're not going to ship you a loaded Passion!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still hopeful

Smartcard, thank you, you clarified rtekgroup's suggestion that models and prices may not be as currently expected. This was very helpful and reasoned. However, I noticed that you didn't respond to or mention at all my post about Smart USA dealers not providing service/repairs/maintenance to current owners. Sadly I'll assume it's true. I certainly don't think current owners would expect warranty or work on non-factory modifications, completely understandable, but not even parts, accessories, put on a new tire, oil change, tune-up. That's cold and seems to me not at all Smart. I just hope it turns out not to be true. It would seem to me, the most promising future customers to buy new Smart Cars are those who have already proven themselves by being Smart Car owners.
Good Luck! Great Car!

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Thanks belkin666...although I should post the disclaimer that the above is soley one's opinion and not based on cold hard facts! ;)

As far as your original post, while I agree with the assessment that these new dealerships might not have the initial parts and training to cover the earlier Smarts, I would hope that they would eventually repair these as well. After, they are dealerships....and we all know how much these dealer service centers charge for their repairs - they're are in it for the profit, and I can't see why they would thumb their nose at the opportunity to make $$$!

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Most dealers are crooks anyway

Who cares if the dealers are not going to service the pre-'08 Smarts! There are lots of independents that will be very willing (and probably better prepared) to generate a custom base and reputation as one who will fix, adjust, or work on a Smart. I would not recommend taking a car to a dealer in any situation other than warranty work anyway...too expensive and for the most part, work is too sloppy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It would be unfortunate ifthe dealers would only service the 2008 and beyond, but you're right, jonnysan, there are plenty of people who can do the work themselves, or independents to do it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree

Dealers would be my last choice and lot's of small stuff I can do myself. But the problem I'm finding is that there are no independents willing to repair; at least in Los Angeles. I can't tell you how many I've contacted by phone and in person and they look at me as if I'm from outer space. If it's not standard, easy, parts available right now, they don't want to hear about it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Parts and service for the converted cars

After years of elusiveness, postponements and promises by all participants' including Schembri, who had been head of smart at Mercedes-Benz USA before they disbanded the smart project for the third time.

Several of the soon to be smart dealerships had already been selected when Schembri was head of smart for Mercedes-Benz USA.

However, many of the new handpicked dealers got their franchise based on factors including customer service index scores and location.

So there will be parts and service for the converted cars and it makes no sense not to service the cars, after all the dealers want to sell cars.

Penske is not mean or vindictive he is a car salesmen and a smart and very wealthy one at that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts