Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, so if it's probably the radiator fan bearings. It seems to have gotten worse, now it's not only noticeable during shutdown but sometimes also while running. I've been avoiding A/C use as much as possible to delay the inevitable repair. And wondering if I can delay 3-months.
Is it likely the fan will fail altogether in this period, leading to engine overheating?
I'm poor.

@jimvw57 , for years I have thought your solution was great! Not sure I'm up to the job myself though. Can you point me in the direction of an appropriate addon fan?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Got mine from O'Rieleys Auto Parts, but you could probably get the same unit from just about any parts store. Hayden is a common brand..
Is the 675 cfm model sufficient? I see it is nearly one-inch thinner than the 1050 cfm model. The latter isn't much more expensive, just wondering if thickness is going to be an issue in this application.

I've got a question for anyone: If it's the radiator fan which is bad, why do I only hear the noise when the A/C is on, or hear it winding down when it's just been switched off? The tempeature is in the 90's, and after driving for an hour in this hellish heat, I still only hear it in relation to the A/C. Surely, the radiator fan must be running at least part-time in these conditions, but not a peep except in relation to AC operation.

Another thing I've noticed: purely curiosity, not necessarily diagnostic. I have been driving with the AC running on a lower setting without hearing the noise, and then had it "set off" when I hit a bumpy railroad crossing, or have gone around a corner at a sporty speed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ok. The Harlem Edition is in the shop Radiator fan was determined to be bad. An initial quote of $5,700.00 was floated out there. I didn't blink, as that was for the full list of the things I had talked about having done including new headlights. So, I put out a heavy wish list and the Shop Manager countered with a see if your serious number. I didn't blink cause I'm not playing, he got the message and said the shop can get me where I want to be. Which is cross country to the Pacific Coast Highway. My own Parts list is 1263.44 plus 311.84 shipping so 1600.00 dollars for Radiator fan, radiator support, Radiator, Condenser, Front Bumper cover, front impact bar. and all related items. Some items may not be needed and some items may have been over looked. All my parts would have come from MBONLINEPARTS.COM. My parts list does not Include headlights which I will source myself and struts which will have to wait. I also am not including the Fluids and a/c recharge cost and of course Labor.

Big Note the item I actually must have, the radiator fan is less than 90 dollars. lol

Now I bought my smart with front end damage. Nursed it back together and drove it 20,000 miles. I am taking this opportunity to replace all that was damaged. And get rid of some of the shoe stings and wire clothes hangers holding some things in place lol.

We will just see how this plays out.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
I got a 'front end repair kit' form a place in EL Cajon Ca for $800 with the whole front end from the firewall forward. It even had the master cylinder reservoir and all the bolts!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I got a 'front end repair kit' form a place in EL Cajon Ca for $800 with the whole front end from the firewall forward. It even had the master cylinder reservoir and all the bolts!
I like that El Cajon Ca. place a lot and have gotten a few things from there. If I was doing this job myself I surely would have went with pre-owned parts. I just didn't have the off street work situation needed to put the car down like that time and space wise. So having to use a shop... new parts, all but possibly Headlights (I want a used Brabus set) keep any failure in the shops hands with no cause attributed to the affected part being used.

So Just in prayer for great mechanical repair results, so when the crucial rear work I want this same shop to do in the fall I will have confidence in them.

And my Smart will be sailing along the Pacific Coast Highway nice and Sweet. not to mention New York to the west coast and back.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you come by here let me know... Best of luck with the dealer repairs and have a safe drive!!!
That drive will be in May 2020. Question for you is, do you run nice parts of the pacific coast highway? Also from San Diego to Seattle.... which way is the better drive from north to south or south to north? in fact I will start a thread with that very question.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
I like that El Cajon Ca. place a lot and have gotten a few things from there. If I was doing this job myself I surely would have went with pre-owned parts. I just didn't have the off street work situation needed to put the car down like that time and space wise. So having to use a shop... new parts, all but possibly Headlights (I want a used Brabus set) keep any failure in the shops hands with no cause attributed to the affected part being used.

So Just in prayer for great mechanical repair results, so when the crucial rear work I want this same shop to do in the fall I will have confidence in them.

And my Smart will be sailing along the Pacific Coast Highway nice and Sweet. not to mention New York to the west coast and back.
Like you I don't have of street parking, a driveway or anything like that. I ran it into the back yard and did the best I could. I hit a deer and insurance wouldn't cover it so I got what I could for what I could.

·
Registered
540 Posts
in Harlem, NY with alternate side of the street parking and no back yard, everything would have had to go right and I would still have to overcome thr fluid a recharge process. Could have quickly been in over my head and forced to do something like tow it to a shop anyway. You know how that changes things. Driving a car in to a shop vs having it towed their at their mercy.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That drive will be in May 2020. Question for you is, do you run nice parts of the pacific coast highway? Also from San Diego to Seattle.... which way is the better drive from north to south or south to north? in fact I will start a thread with that very question.

Been waiting for your thread. Did I miss it? If so sorry! I don’t go to PCH (aka HWY 1 much), because we live inland and with traffic it takes a while to get there. Of course it doesn’t help that June 1st I got into an at fault accident there that totaled our car, and likely the other party’s as well. It is a busy road due to proximity with the ocean. Some places have three lanes of traffic, in one direction, so pretty wide, at times. I’m afraid I’m not familiar with it enough to tell you the best parts, but when going up to Northern California, or back down here to Southern Cal, and getting to the destination quickly is the goal, PCH is mostly avoided. 101 is an option navigation systems quite frequently advise. It often has bad traffic. Sometimes shooting inland to the 5 gives the smoothest drive. It depends on the amount of time you have....

NCC1701, so sorry about the thread jack! (Hope the “pusher” fan saves you a ton of headache)!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I delivered the the new TYC after market Headlight Assemblies to the shop repairing my Smart today. So the final re-installation of my front end should begin. The TYC headlights were sourced from Rock Auto for $109 apiece with all bulbs and dust covers. Remember that along with the initial radiator fan repair I am having all prior accident related front end damaged parts replaced. My headlight housings were broken and just glued in place for the last 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
twcom, if the TYC headlights give you trouble might ask on candlepowerforums what alternative headlight to buy. I’m afraid they are a brand not of high regard.

·
Registered
540 Posts
twcom, if the TYC headlights give you trouble might ask on candlepowerforums what alternative headlight to buy. I’m afraid they are a brand not of high regard.
Ultimately the quest for affordable Brabus dark lights will still be on but shop was ready to reassemble front end. I will read candelpowerfourms as my 2007 Pontiac torrent could use a set.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My smart is repaired and back in service. Understand that I had a nearly full front end restoration as along with the initial Radiator replacement all Items damaged from front end accident prior to my purchase where replaced. Including the radiator itself and the condenser. the driving is the Best the car has felt since I have owned it. A Smart Fortwo OEM Radiator replacement Is not a quick, easy or inexpensive repair, It is however a necessary repair as the consequence of over heating the Smart engine is catastrophic. The after market Fan fixes will work just fine and the more hands on and DIY you can be the cheaper the cost. I was blessed with the resources, time and a near-by Shop location. Coupled with some additional needs to be resolved my fix came at a shop. I am happy with my results this time around. What ever you need to do dig in and get er done, dont cook your baby.

My Review of Bay Diagnostic Brooklyn NY.

Perfect restoration!

My 2014 Smart fortwo had front end damage when I purchased it in 2016. I had pieced it back together with coat hangers, shoe strings, tape and glue. After 3 years and 25,000 miles a radiator fan issue brought me to Keith of Bay Diagnostic. Now I had been to the shop about 2 years ago when a brake light switch went bad. Ultimately I made that repair myself but after a nice conversation and look around the shop. I vowed then that this would be my repair shop for any major repair to my Smart. So with a Smart Fortwo Radiator Fan replacement qualifying as a major repair there wasn't any hesitation dropping my Smart off at the shop. After Keith confirmed the radiator fan indeed needed replacing. It was decided that we would take the opportunity to replace all the accident damage as almost all of those parts had to be removed anyway to reach the Smart Radiator Fan.

I picked my Smart up and am totally pleased and impressed with the fully restored front end of my Smart. All the fine work was done and came in under the quoted estimate. That makes it the Perfect restoration.
Bay Diagnostic..... Great people, vast knowledge, fine workmanship. Couldn't be Smarter. AL. T.
Recommended

·
Registered
52 Posts
My smart is repaired and back in service. Understand that I had a nearly full front end restoration as along with the initial Radiator replacement all Items damaged from front end accident prior to my purchase where replaced. Including the radiator itself and the condenser. the driving is the Best the car has felt since I have owned it. A Smart Fortwo OEM Radiator replacement Is not a quick, easy or inexpensive repair, It is however a necessary repair as the consequence of over heating the Smart engine is catastrophic. The after market Fan fixes will work just fine and the more hands on and DIY you can be the cheaper the cost. I was blessed with the resources, time and a near-by Shop location. Coupled with some additional needs to be resolved my fix came at a shop. I am happy with my results this time around. What ever you need to do dig in and get er done, dont cook your baby.

My Review of Bay Diagnostic Brooklyn NY.

Perfect restoration!

My 2014 Smart fortwo had front end damage when I purchased it in 2016. I had pieced it back together with coat hangers, shoe strings, tape and glue. After 3 years and 25,000 miles a radiator fan issue brought me to Keith of Bay Diagnostic. Now I had been to the shop about 2 years ago when a brake light switch went bad. Ultimately I made that repair myself but after a nice conversation and look around the shop. I vowed then that this would be my repair shop for any major repair to my Smart. So with a Smart Fortwo Radiator Fan replacement qualifying as a major repair there wasn't any hesitation dropping my Smart off at the shop. After Keith confirmed the radiator fan indeed needed replacing. It was decided that we would take the opportunity to replace all the accident damage as almost all of those parts had to be removed anyway to reach the Smart Radiator Fan.

I picked my Smart up and am totally pleased and impressed with the fully restored front end of my Smart. All the fine work was done and came in under the quoted estimate. That makes it the Perfect restoration.
Bay Diagnostic..... Great people, vast knowledge, fine workmanship. Couldn't be Smarter. AL. T.
Recommended
Do you have a breakdown of all the different repair costs? Just curious how much the radiator fan repair cost. My shop in Los Angeles quoted me $300, not including parts, since I told them I was going to buy the fan replacement myself from MB and bring it in.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts