Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to tow my NEW passion back home from the dealer. I haven't been able to find a weekday driver to go over with me to Indianapolis to get my new car, so I'm going to have to tow it.

Uhaul doesn't have any dollies, but they do have an Auto Transport trailer in stock that will tow all four wheels off the ground. It isn't a flatbed, it has rails for wheels/tires.

The trailer rails at the widest are 74 inches and 42 at the narrowest, and I know the smart is some 61 inches wide. The big question is the inner wheel dimensions on the smart. It looks like with low profile cars (or super short wheelbase cars) that I might have to SHIM the wheels with some 2 x 10s at the front of the transport, too.

Anyone already use a Uhaul Auto Transport to move their fortwo? Anyone know the inner dimensions of the wheels? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The inner edge of the rails on the transport are about 42 inches apart, so the smart SHOULD fit on there without problem.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Is this a new US 451? If so, "smart 1" service should be towing a disbled smart to the dealer for you for free. 1-(800) 762-7887.

N.B. I miss read "back from." I haven't had it clarified if smart 1 includes return towing.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Why did you need a tow "back from the dealer?" Isn't it running...or you just don't want to drive it? (as Old Smart pointed out- if you need to tow to the dealer, that should be covered.)

·
Registered
624 Posts
On the width . . .

I need to tow my passion back from the dealer. Uhaul doesn't have any dollies, but they do have an Auto Transport trailer in stock that will tow all four wheels off the ground. It isn't a flatbed, it has rails for wheels/tires.

The trailer rails at the widest are 79 inches, and I know the smart is some 61 inches wide. The big question is the inner rail dimensions on the trailer and the inner wheel dimensions on the smart.

Anyone already use a Uhaul Auto Transport to move their fortwo? Anyone know the inner dimensions of the wheels? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last summer I used a UHaul car trailer for my son's Scion xA which is 66.7 inches wide and it fit fine width-wise on the trailer. I seem to recall that it had fairly wide rails for the car to drive up on (seem to recall some using one for golf carts which are even more narrow than a smart) so you should be OK. I also think that if you contact your local UHaul center that they could do a quick measurement for you. BTW, the trailer worked great for us - towed it behind a Uhaul truck from Chicago to NH without any issues.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The deciding factor will probably be the inner track between the front wheels - the distance between the sidewalls of the front tires.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have used U-Haul trailers a number of times with good service. While I have towed small cars nothing as small as my Smart. Like other have said, go down to the local U-Haul and measure the width.....I have had a problem with U-Haul trailers too narrow so they might work for a Smart. Do you just WANT to tow it back? I kinda understand...I thought about that when I bought mine as it was a almost 4 hour drive...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am going to pick up my NEW passion, which is why I need a trailer. It's quite a distance to the dealership from my home and can't find a weekday driver to go over with me. But there is a Uhaul up the street from my office, and my pickup truck has a tow hitch. Sure will be nice to stop driving my 14 mpg Chevy!

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'm going to be OK. Just hate to rent a trailer, go 100 miles and find it won't fit.

So if anyone has actually used a Uhaul Auto Carrier for a new smart in the US, and/or knows the dimensions between the wheels, I would appreciate the feedback.

I'll try to clarify my first post....

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I am going to pick up my NEW passion, which is why I need a trailer. It's quite a distance to the dealership from my home and can't find a weekday driver to go over with me..
ahhh, I see! That's too bad - it would be much more fun to drive it home, then to tow it home! :p

(Any volunteers here to help a fellow Hoosier out?)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, if someone wants to go for a ride from Clinton or Terre Haute to Indy and back, I'd be happy to take volunteers. My Dad really wanted to come, but he has a service guy coming to his house, been scheduled for like 6 weeks, and he's not breaking that commitment come hell or highwater. All the buds gotta work for a living, too. Guess I could wait until Saturday (instead of Friday) to get it, then there would be lots of volunteers. But heck, I'm tired of waiting. I got it bad!

Towing it home does kind of suck, but the trailer is only $50. And it will save others some hassle, and/or me a trip all the way back. And you can just bet that I'll put plenty of miles on it soon as I get it back.

Uhaul Transports? Dimensions? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
yea thats true.... but they are better then AmTrak... just barely

good luck with your adventure

try Penske or U-Haul web sites to see if they list the various dimensions of their trailers

I have seen a smart up on the typical Lowes 12 foot garden tractor trailer with a heavy screen floor.... perhaps a neighbor has a loaner

·
Registered
383 Posts
The U-Haul auto transport will work just fine. You may want to take a couple 2x6s a foot long to prop the ramps on when loading the Smarty because it's low slung. The boards will make the ramp angle less steep for the car. Go slow and have somebody watching your clearance as you load. This application JUST changed from "not recommended" to "advise customer of possible loading precautions" so you're good to go with a little care. Good luck. Our Smarty's supposed to be ready this weekend too.
Dave

·
Registered
624 Posts
Towing it home, while not fun, does make some sense. I picked mine up in Pittsburgh Monday and 2 minutes after I left the dealership I was in rush hour traffic! And while I LOVE my Smart it is VERY different from my old daily a BIG Chrysler Concorde....so it was trial by fire learning my Smart in rush hour traffic. After about 1 hour of driving we stopped just for a rest....taking my Smart out into the traffic had been stressful!

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
i could always have our route 17 driver that goes to TH in the AM pick you up and bring you to Greenwood, where you could then hop on the route 2 drivers truck for the PM deliveries.....you might get there by 4pm. maybe even on Friday!

down side is that they would expect you to help unload Mopar Parts while you're doing your 'ride-a-long'......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's all set in motion. Transport rented, ready to hitch and go at lunch today. 2x8 and 2x10s in the bed for addnl shims, ramps.

The front of the transport has a lip where the ratchets attach. I'm wondering how low the front and rear dams are on the smart compared to the lip on the transport rails. So I have some scraps to go under the wheels (as recommended by Uhaul). Uhaul also recommends the heaviest part of the car in tow be placed to the front of the trailer. My Uhaul dealer said that since the smart will probably be completely in front of the trailer axles, it didn't matter whether I put it in backward or forward. I may back it in anyway, since it appears the rear bumper/dam is taller for more trailer clearance at the ratchet lip.

If I don't get in too big of a hurry over there, I'll snap some pics. Maybe someone else will be unfortunate enough to need to use an auto transport.

Anyone else in Indy need their smart moved today? There's room for two on the trailer! :D

Thanks for the offer, Jeepster55, but that sounds WAY too much like work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Remember that the approximate fore/aft weight distribution is 45/55 %. Have a safe journey!

This is backwards. Always load ANY trailer heavier toward the front. Doing it backward guarantees instability and greatly increases your chance of accident. This advice is in every U-Haul trailer. (actually recommends 60%/ 40% distribution) Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts